Marshall vs Mesa/Boogie

+1 on trying old Marshall's. They sound more organic. They are simpler amps, so less is more in this case. Mesa Boogie's always sound processed to me. Open up a Mark V for example, and you'll see there's tons of crap in that thing. That just can't make them sound good.

nullin

+1 on trying old Marshall's. They sound more organic. They are simpler amps, so less is more in this case. Mesa Boogie's always sound processed to me. Open up a Mark V for example, and you'll see there's tons of crap in that thing. That just can't make them sound good.

:spit

Myriad_Rocker

I dunno...my Mark V sounds pretty damn good.

cardinal

It's difficult to lump all Mesa's together. A Mark is not a Dual Rec is not an Electra Dyne, etc. You should try to play them and see which one's you like. Soundgarden used a JCM800-type amp on Badmotorfinger, I think, and since then has used a lot of Mesa, I think (Dual Rec/Tremoverb, Maverick, and now the Electra Dyne).

madryan

Relay switches... how do they work?

madryan

If you dig the Marshall sound I'd snag a Splawn Streetrod.

If you dig the Mesa boogie sound then you need to identify which Boogie sound you like. There's the "Mark Series" boogie sound and the "Recto" boogie sound. No mark series will sound like a rectifier and no rectifier will sound like a mark. I like them both but I really like the Mark series amps better.

donnievaz

I ran a Single Rec w/EL-34L's that could cop a little bit of a Marshall vibe while still sounding like a Mesa. This was through a Mesa 2x12 Rec cab with Vintage 30's. It was a pretty sweet and simple rig. I have a JVM 210H now that I'm pretty happy with but I've always been more of a Marshall fan.

jtm622

Mesa flatly states that they built the Stilleto with Marshall amps and EL34 tubes in mind (as opposed to the 6L6, which they normally base their amps on)... I've got a 2203 Marshall and a Stilleto Trident (series 1) that I alternate gigging with - and the FACT IS that you can definitely get a "Marshally" sound out of a Stiletto, no matter what anybody tries to tell you... Like most other Mesa amps, however, it must be dialed in properly (remember - you've gotta fine-tune any Mesa at a gig setting, as the sound you dial in in your living room WILL be different than what you'll hear in a live band setting...)

StudioRat320

Want the best of both worlds??

Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 channel head
Eurotubes JJ KT66/KT88 kit with upgraded 12AX7's

Channel 1 - Almost as pristine as a Fender
Channel 2 - Hot Rod Marshall with loads of gain, yet articulate. You hear every string. No blur.
Channel 3 - Mesa grunt and girth, but with out that annoying buzz.

I'm playing Reeves amps almost exclusively now, but when I want to rage, I use this.

This combination turns a ok, but kind of dry sounding amp into a great amp. Less compressed and open.

Also, try this head through a Marshall 4x12 with 75's. You'll be surprised.

Miles

Mesa flatly states that they built the Stilleto with Marshall amps and EL34 tubes in mind (as opposed to the 6L6, which they normally base their amps on)... I've got a 2203 Marshall and a Stilleto Trident (series 1) that I alternate gigging with - and the FACT IS that you can definitely get a "Marshally" sound out of a Stiletto, no matter what anybody tries to tell you... Like most other Mesa amps, however, it must be dialed in properly (remember - you've gotta fine-tune any Mesa at a gig setting, as the sound you dial in in your living room WILL be different than what you'll hear in a live band setting...)

Yes. It doesn't matter what name is on the front, amp circuits can create very similar sounding tones. The Stiletto is indeed VERY Marshall-like if not more convincing to my ears that some Marshalls!

sleeperaxe

Silver Supporting Member
As a guy who went from a Marshall 2203 to a Mark I to a Mark IV to a Roadster and back to a 2203: Get a 2203/2204 and don't look back. There is elegance in simplicity, and versatility does not necessarily come with an 8 button footswitch.

stratsnboogies

I agree, My hunk a junk Mark V Head with all that extra crap, and weighs a lot will be here tomorrow. Plus, I have to sign for it.

:bounce

skoora

As a guy who went from a Marshall 2203 to a Mark I to a Mark IV to a Roadster and back to a 2203: Get a 2203/2204 and don't look back. There is elegance in simplicity, and versatility does not necessarily come with an 8 button footswitch.

I have a Stiletto that I like a lot, also have a Studio pre coming in the mail, but there's a lot of truth in what you say there. I also have a Metro 69 kit I built because i have to have that 1959 sound and feel available at all times.

If OP is only buying new I would go with a Boogie over what Marshall offers new. Roadking/Mark V or Lonestar Special w/pedals probably). Used.....open field.

Almost any GC will have both brands so you really don't have to wonder that much.

dughaze

I agree, My hunk a junk Mark V Head with all that extra crap, and weighs a lot will be here tomorrow. Plus, I have to sign for it.

:bounce

I am so sorry you've got to play thru a Mark amp and experience the pain of that synthetic tone. I feel that same pain every time I play mine.

GSHARP

Two different amps. It's a trap, you need both.

I had a Stage 1 Stiletto, great amp, gets you close to that Marshall tone, but it's no Marshall.

Despite the efforts shown by Boogie over the last few years trying to get that Marshall vibe, I think both amp builders should stick to what brought them where they are in the first place. Boogie will always be very american sounding and Marshall will always sound brit to me, and that's the beauty of it, both amps are required in different applications.

primerib

honestly Derek, you're going to have to get your arse over to someplace where you can start jamming on Mesa's and Marshall's. but if used is your thing, a Stiletto sounds like a great fit. and you can never go wrong with a recto IMO

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
Want the best of both worlds??

Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 channel head
Eurotubes JJ KT66/KT88 kit with upgraded 12AX7's

Channel 1 - Almost as pristine as a Fender
Channel 2 - Hot Rod Marshall with loads of gain, yet articulate. You hear every string. No blur.
Channel 3 - Mesa grunt and girth, but with out that annoying buzz.

I'm playing Reeves amps almost exclusively now, but when I want to rage, I use this.

This combination turns a ok, but kind of dry sounding amp into a great amp. Less compressed and open.

Also, try this head through a Marshall 4x12 with 75's. You'll be surprised.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. DRs do not sound like Marshall's -- hot rodded or not. In my experience there's distinct differences in the tone stack that I can't dial out or match to a Marshall. And, IMO, the gain does not have the body or character of a Marshall.

I've owned DRs. Then went to Marshall. Then went back to DRs because they are so flexible, well made, and sound great -- I convince myself that they are the amp I need!! But I just cannot get that Marshall sound that I want. So then I go back to Marshall. I've repeated this cycle 3 times because I really want to like the DRs. But, in the end, I'm really tied to the Marshall JMP / JCM800 / and similar hot-rodded Marshall sounds and in my experience the DR just can't get there. And, yes, I've tried the same cab referenced above (as well as others) and some tube experimentation.

If you want a Marshall tone, get a Marshall amp or a well made clone that is based on the Marshall circuit. Don't waste your time and money trying to make another amp sound like a Marshall - just get the real thing.

This is not a slight against DRs or Mesas. Mesa amps are not Marshall amps and vice versa, and I do not think they can be made to sound the same. Choose your weapon and go with it.

Last edited:

Miles

There are a lot of Mesa amps that are just about if not as simple as Marshall amps.

Mark Vs are a bad example, as is the TSL601 or the JVM series by Marshall. Too many dials!

But, you pit a JCM800 alongside an Electradyne or Stiletto? Simpler mesa amps like the express series can tackle territory in a simple package that Marshall can't even tread on.

Marshall amps, in my experience, have developed no more reliability than my clothing iron or microwave. Something I can expect to break within a few years and have to replace. I haven't had this experience with Mesa Boogie.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom