Marshall w/ VooDoo mod's...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Feb 27, 2008.

1. John55

John55 Member

I have a chance to buy one of the handwired series 100w SLs that has been sent to VooDoo for their "plexi" mod's. This is called the "Jose" mod and includes an added MV. The amp comes with a bag full of caps and resistors that were changed out.
    My question is this...how much of a difference do all of these mod's make? Is the standard, as issued amp basically just as good sounding? I've never played one of these HW series amps, so all I have to go on is this one, with the mod's. The amp sounds fabulous and the MV does tame it somewhat, but if you really want "the" tone it still needs to be cranked up pretty loud. It's tone compares very favorably with my original '68 100w plexi.

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I'm willing to bet that the stock amp with the right pedal can be made to sound just as good. One thing is for sure - once you get that amp modded, you will never recover the cost when you sell it.

3. John55

John55 Member

Amp is already mod'd, I'd be buying used with the "hit" already taken by the original owner.

4. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I'm not sure I understand the following question -

I'm not trying to be difficult. Rephrase exactly what your questions are and hopefully some of us can help get you pointed in the right direction.

5. John55

John55 Member

Okay...I've changed the initial posting. What I'm asking is if the mod's this amp has improve it a lot/little/none over a stock amp w/o the mod's.

6. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Tough to tell how the mods would chang the tone, as you would have to play the amp right next to a stock one. (and even then, no two stock units are a like).

I have played a stock 1959HW and thought it sounded great. A tube screamer made it sound even better. Only problem with the amp is that it was loud as hell.

If the price is right, you can't go wrong, as you could always tweak it more to get your perfect sound.