• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Marshall, which one?

Mr.Dan

Hey guys, I'm in some kind of Vintage vibe. Which marshall
Is your preferred one? No fx loop, one channel. My idea is to go
from crunch to clean by using the Volume knob and kick in my
Tejas Boost for lead stuf. Simple setup.

Cab I'm using is a Suhr 2x12 Open back, with Wgs Veteran 30 and
Et-65 speakers in it, 16 ohm, wired in parallel for a total load of 8 ohm.

Keep it coming

Thanks for your suggestions.

mscaggs

I personally love JTM45 or JTM45/100 if you need power. JTM50s are a little bright and harsh for me and my 100watt Super Lead is just too violent. One man's opinion. You have to play em and decide for yourself...

ToneWarrior

I had a 1976 JMP 100watt, I regret to this day selling it but it didn't have an effects loop. I had it modded with Dual MV by David Bray. No exaggeration put on any AC/DC album and you'll know what my amp sounded like. To this I keep looking on ebay for that amp to show up because I want to buy it back.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I have a JTM45 head and a Bluesbreaker combo. I love the way these amps sound, especially the clean tone. The thing I've found though is that I'm never going to get natural amp distortion from either of them. The volume on them tends to be ridiculously loud before they breakup. They do sound incredible with pedals though.

If you're going for the more vintage tones, you're either going to be using pedals, an attenuator or having a master volume installed. I don't think there's much else you can do...

Last edited:

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend the 1973X 18 watt hand wired marshalll combo - a "bluesbreaker".
JCM 800 are and always will be a classic.
The DSL series is damned nice too.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Hmm... great crunch to clean with the Vol Knob? I'd be building a TW Express clone for that one!

BADHAK

Stock 2005 SG std with 490 498s
Ibanez ts808 hw for solos/heavy
Stock 79 or 80 jmp 2203's set to ACDC crunch
1960ax with Greenbacks

Work the guitar volume, tone and pickup selection for a huge range of tones....quiet,loud,mellow,aggresive,bright,dark,middy, scooped,cleanish to mean.......all there at your right hand.....perfect

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
You want an actual marshall with no master volume and won't neuter a small animal at 100 yards, that's exactly how I was using a 2061x.

Otherwise I'd go Germino, Metro, Wallace or Park 50 watt with a master volume.

illini

As already mentioned, there are better "Marshalls" out there than actual Marshalls
Don't be a hater. ;)

There are some great clones of the classic Marshalls out there no doubt, but there are also some very good older Marshalls floating around that also give up the goods.

ripple

To keep fresh, keep capped & cold.
Gold Supporting Member
Because you mentioned a vintage vibe:

JTM-45 with pedals for dirt/boost IMO. I can't play mine enough... fantastic amp!

If you're looking outside the Marshall box, I'd recommend a DrZ Route 66 (with pedals also).

Both amps move a lot of air though, so that may be a problem if volume is a concern.

Trending Topics