Marshall with 6CA7 tube's

I assume you meant 6ca7 .Don’t those bray’s already have the brown sound baked in? So it’s hard to compare tubes plus your playing newer vh songs and not the older material that was known for the brown sound. Sounds good though.

paulscape

I assume you meant 6ca7 .Don’t those bray’s already have the brown sound baked in? So it’s hard to compare tubes plus your playing newer vh songs and not the older material that was known for the brown sound. Sounds good though.
Yes you're right, although I'm playing only older stuff...Dirty Movies, Act Like It Hurts, Eddie Jamming In The Bedroom '74!

paulscape

Nice! Are plugged straight in or do you have any pedals in between?
I am going through a pedalboard but only the Chasetone secret pedal and a mild delay is on and a Mooer Pitchbox is on during Dirty Movies.

Last edited:

JB6464

Fat Bottle 6CA7's (Tetrode) are my favorite tubes when I run Marshall's , they have a nice bottom end that fattens up a bright amp without sounding mushy .

Geetarpicker

Apparently EVH used 6CA7s in his plexi 100 back in the early VH days. Typically it’s a more rugged tube, with a different tone vs an EL34.

Dannyz

Incredible tone!

Is that a Road Worn 50s Strat with a humbucker in the bridge? When these EH 6ca7 wore out, you should try JJ 6ca7s. Ive heard that they sound even browner!.

Rick Lee

Sounds great, but I had a Bray-modded 1987xl and it sounded like old VH, no matter what tubes were in it or how I played. It was a Brown Sound machine and little else. I keep meaning to try a set of 6CA7s in one of my stock Plexis, but they always tend to blow one EL34 that I can match and so not have to buy a new pair or quad.

mscotts

What?!
Silver Supporting Member
Love the EH 6ca7s and EL-34s.
I doubt all that browness is a result of ur output tubes tho- mostly whatever variant of brown amp ur plugged into... Sounds great!!!
What is the amp?
EDIT- Duh says right on ur vid title- damn cell phone didn’t display. Yet another excellent example of Bray’s work...
Rock on!

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
Love the EH 6ca7s in my Plexi. Don’t usually like any EH tunes but those are great.

paulscape

Love the EH 6ca7s and EL-34s.
I doubt all that browness is a result of ur output tubes tho- mostly whatever variant of brown amp ur plugged into... Sounds great!!!
What is the amp?
EDIT- Duh says right on ur vid title- damn cell phone didn’t display. Yet another excellent example of Bray’s work...
Rock on!
The EH 6CA7's are more saturated yet less aggressive and tight than the EL34's. They have a richer bass and top end. The EL34s have a stronger mid focus. More beige than brown? Haha. At least thats the difference I can hear.

paulscape

Sounds great, but I had a Bray-modded 1987xl and it sounded like old VH, no matter what tubes were in it or how I played. It was a Brown Sound machine and little else. I keep meaning to try a set of 6CA7s in one of my stock Plexis, but they always tend to blow one EL34 that I can match and so not have to buy a new pair or quad.
I installed a resistor to use the 6CA7's. I'd like to get a stock early 70's plexi or even a JCM800 at some point!

paulscape

Incredible tone!

Is that a Road Worn 50s Strat with a humbucker in the bridge? When these EH 6ca7 wore out, you should try JJ 6ca7s. Ive heard that they sound even browner!.
It's a MJT reliced strat - the neck is unusual in that it has Gibson style frets, tall and narrow. The humbucker is a Seymour Duncan '78.

Last edited:

zenas

My question is how do the new 6ca7s compare to the old big bottle Sylvanias Guessing they're probably not even close but I certainly could be wrong!
I just don't have a lot of faith in the way tubes are marked these days. For instance I bought an amp with a new pair of Groove Tube labeled JJ 6L6s a few years ago. The tubes are marked 6L6, 5881 and KT66. Talk about covering all the bases.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
My question is how do the new 6ca7s compare to the old big bottle Sylvanias Guessing they're probably not even close but I certainly could be wrong!
I just don't have a lot of faith in the way tubes are marked these days. For instance I bought an amp with a new pair of Groove Tube labeled JJ 6L6s a few years ago. The tubes are marked 6L6, 5881 and KT66. Talk about covering all the bases.
Tubes with more than one designation are just giving you the cross-reference for that particular tube. The first designation is what it really is, the other ones are what the tube crosses with. Many tubes are labeled like that, not just GT, even U.S. tubes.
Al

Trending Topics