Marshall YJM and Power Scaling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vibrostrat43, Feb 15, 2012.

1. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I walked into my local GC today (don't really have any better stores around me), intent on trying out a Tele with a few different amps when I saw a Marshall YJM (which I hadn't heard anything about).

I had already tried Teles through the only Vox AC15c1's they have there, and the Deluxe Reverbs and decided that I hadn't heard one through a Marshall (and this one seemed like it was based on a vintage Marshall), and I just planned on playing clean because the amp didn't have a master volume, and I didn't want to be annoying.

So I start playing and keep turning the amp up because it's not getting enough volume for me to really hear myself, but it's starting to distort. Then I realize that this amp must have power-scaling which I had never heard live before. I go to the back of the amp and sure enough it has power scaling, and even reverb which I hadn't yet seen.

Long story short, the amp sounded pretty good to my ears on the bright channel, and I feel like power-scaling would be a satisfactory way for me to get some good sounds out of my amp. I'm looking at either getting a London Power power-scaling kit, or possibly changing my amp to cathode bias and using a rheostat to drop the voltage in it.

Power-scaling is the future! I will never need a master volume in any of my amps ever again! :bounce

2. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Well, power scaling is certainly one way to do it. Me, I just use an attenuator when needed. The cool thing about that is if I sell the amp, or want to use another one of my amps, I just hook it up to them. With the power scaling, your attenuator goes bye bye when the amp goes bye bye.

That said, I dig the YJM. A friend of mine has one. It's definitely a cool amp.

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

What Frank said. Power scaling is not new at all. Been around for years. I've had power scaling and and more attenuators than I care to admit to. I'll take a good modern attenuator ANY DAY. They're more transparent than power scaling and you can use them with any amp you own, now or in the future.