Marshall1959 HW

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Anyone got one of these?

Please tell me it about it.

Of coarse it dosnt have booteek trannys in it. Ya rekon it stinks. ;)

I wouldnt mind having one of these. Its def. a cool amp.

Would my Bogner 2x12 closed back with V30's in it hold up to it?

Will this thing get a good clean sound or do you have to pull the bright cap to get it to act like a regular pot and not a switch?

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

Remember, Adam had one for ya :D :dude :cool: when I got my baby one ;) .

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I wonder if they still have that one?

4. Roe

Roe Member

The V30 will survive, but you might experience cone cry.

The 69 super lead (split cartode) will not give you as good clean sound as a super bass or a 67 super lead (shared cartode).

5. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

If you're upset with some amp mfg for making some claim and you can't stop thinking about it, either say it or don't. This passive-aggressive stuff is getting old fast.

6. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi Red Planet,

The GC over in Atlanta has one. I thought it was pretty good and looks great. The clean was better than expected. ...However...do not hook it up to the fawn cabinet over there.

I can't be sure..But I sespect that cabinet has some problems and is probably the reason the brand new MM OT shorted on my Marshall.

the guy told me there may be an issue with it.........after my marshall started popping fuses......

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I was over there the day it came in. Rastaman had ordered the 20 watter and they shipped them a 100 watter too. We were both standing there when they took it out of the box. They didnt order it but they werent gonna send it back. :D

James I'm sorry if I upset you. I think your a class act so please take this with a grain of salt.

I deleted the thread when it started getting heated. I felt like it wasnt going anywhere and was headed down the road of a locked thread. I figure I'll let it go for now and maybe bring it back up later in a different manner.

As far as my snide comments I just couldnt resist. I'm a smartass at heart.:D Apart from that comment I'm willing to just let it go for now. I'll try not to make any more.

As far as what I say when I say it. Well its like this. I'll say what I want when I want and you or no one else is gonna change that. If I want to stick a Bananna up my butt sideways thats what I'm gonna do. Who died and left you in charge?

I still feel the same way about that kinda thing and I was venting I guess. I'm done venting and the next time I see it come up I may call it as I see it then. For now I'm done with the hole thing.

8. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I picked up one of the new Marshall 1959HWs about 3 weeks ago. This amp absolutely rips. I've owned a bunch of Marshalls, including an original plexi and a 72 metal plate super lead. I also own a Blockhead BLK-100 (clone of a '67 plexi) and a Germino Lead 55. The 1959HW really clones the vintage plexi specs. It is an incredibly LOUD amp, and anything about 2 or 3 is pretty much "ears bleeding" level. But it has that sound that just can't be replicated.

In terms of tone, it is an extremely aggressive amp, and actually starts distorting around 2.5 on the volume (bridging the channels). Mind you, it is so loud at 2.5 you won't want to be in the same room. I run mine through a reissue 4x12 with greenbacks. The amp is much edgier sounding than the Blockhead, which gets that "soft" 67 plexi vibe.

I think Marshall hit the ball out of the park on this one. I've played tons of original plexis and its nice to have one sound so good right out of the box with no reliability issues.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cool thats what I wanted to know. What it sounds like of coarse I'll go and play it for myself.

After further reflection I dont think I'm gonna try the Banana thing. :D

10. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

You can say it how you want, when you want--I certainly can't stop you. But that doesn't mean that others, just as on that original thread, aren't going to point out what's wrong about your posts. You might also notice that a certain member of this forum has recently been suspended for doing something very similar to what you're doing--for him it was a long time coming though. So you might ask "who died and left the Gear Page moderators in charge" while you're at it. :) Fact is if you continue with that kind of posting, eventually you're going to be considered to be crossing the line. If you're reasonable and saying something that makes sense that's one thing. Accusing someone of something they didn't do is another.

If you know me, you know I don't disagree with the sentiment you brought forth. When someone says "I have an 80s Marshall with Drakes, should I change them?", you'll usually see me jump in and say "No, leave them alone, they're nice transformers." But I also don't get upset if someone says a mfg of transformers can duplicate a specific transformer design. Hey, why not? It's not impossible by any means. Does that mean you need it to get the sound you're looking for? Most likely not, since the context (the circuit) it's in is more important than the transformer itself. But if someone is specifically looking for that very design, I wouldn't bash them for wanting to get it.

You might notice the person who brought up that transformer model didn't say at any time that he was using that transformer model in his own amps. He wasn't trying to make it a marketing point for himself; he was just trying to point out that if someone wanted that design, all they had to do was talk to the company that made the clone. I'd say if anything that was being helpful. How does that justify your ranting about him?

If you want to rant about people "needing" that design to get a certain sound, that would be somewhat more appropriate...somewhat. Even so it's still a matter of opinion. A lot of people want to try very specific things, be it pedals, tubes, guitars, pickups, transformers, whatever, in their search for the sound they're after. Maybe some of them won't get the exact sound they're after, but maybe they will.

I'm glad to hear that. :)

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Point taken.

I've allways been (and you can ask my friends) one to speak his mind. Is my mind warped? Quite possibly. :D

I'm not worried about getting banned from the Gear Page. If that is what happens when one speaks his mine then so be it. I dont usually go on rants but I did on this one and have once or twice before. I'm certainly not a troller. I enjoy talking about Gear as much as the next guy. I've never been booted out of a forum but I'm shure there is a first time for everything. Sae La Vee.

BTW I'm not asking to be booted out. :D

I love this place and enjoy having a place to talk about amps. However I will speak my mind when I get ready. Although I have bit my tongue on occasion. Ouch

I hope we are square on this and can move on. I hold no malice towards you and think your a great guy. :)

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Red Planet...just out of curiosity (I missed that thread), who's amps "made you go into rant mode"? If you're not interested in saying it online, email me. I'm just wondering who you think thinks their amp is the "end all to be all"... especially enough to make you start a thread...

13. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Thanks for the kind words, Red Planet.

My main point was that "speaking your mind" is fine, as long as you don't allow your feelings on the subject to misdirect your intent. You had a valid point (one which you've probably seen me agree with a number of times) but it wasn't directed at the source. That was unfair to Doug.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm "damned if I do, damned if I don't", and this is a prime example of that. Had I stepped in and said what Doug did on that thread, I'd have been the subject of that "attack" instead of Doug. He ended up "damned because he did". Generally I don't say anything on subjects like that--not that kind of info anyway--and then I'm "damned because I don't". I've seen many posts here and on HC with people asking "Why won't you tell us what components you use (etc.)?", and usually with very rude wording too. You should've seen the flame war I got into about a year ago on HC over what transformers I used. I was evil because I wouldn't tell people what brand I used, ha ha! Seriously, it was insane. (Especially when I switched suppliers twice and no one could tell the difference either time.) I've also had people take what I'm saying totally out of context then "quote me" later, and then suddenly I was the unwitting start of a rumor about certain components having more "mojo value" (something which I couldn't disagree with more).

That's why I get involved in situations like this. It's not because I think you're a bad person, it's because I want people to understand where guys like me are coming from when we do post about this sort of thing. We want to give out information that people are asking for but we don't want it to be taken out of context. It always ends up being taken out of context, and then we have to play "damage control" so as to not fuel the misconceptions which are already rampant on the Internet.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

For the record I didnt say a word about Doug.

I like Doug.:) One of these days I'd like to have one of his amps.

Yes I was refering to a specific thread (which I didnt want to point out) but I was more refering to the secret sauce tactics used by some folks to sell a product.

15. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

I'm sorry; I'd assumed you were specifically aiming your comments at Doug (based on the subject matter of transformers, especially since that was a "hot topic" as of late).

I do dislike "secret sauce tactics" as well, but we all have it to some extent. Whether we're secretive about the parts we use (custom or not), what specific combination we prefer (visit the www link in your profile for an example of that), or just refuse to publicly divulge a lot of information about our designs (you can include me in that camp), having a bit of mystery about the design is important. Especially when there are dozens of homebrewers out there looking to copy anything they think they might like this month. :) I don't mind helping someone get a better sound from their project/build but I don't want to hand over my design on a silver platter.

16. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

who James :confused:

i visit here each day whilst at work and I cant think whom you are referring to dude.

jimmy

17. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

illroy

18. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

never heard of him james :confused:

19. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

You can search the forum for his posts if you wish. :) I'm not surprised you didn't notice him around. His general tone was more "drive-by" in nature.

20. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

did a quick search as you say and i see what you mean dude.:cool: