Marshall's first JMP reissue, 1988 1959S vs the 1973 1959E JMP metal panel ...

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
... the model that they targeted to copy.

So... Marshall produced their first JMP reissues in the 80s, 1988 to be exact, 100 each of the 1959 JMP 100W superlead and 100 of the 1987 JMP 50W superlead. It was the only time they would ever get the JMP reissues close to the original in appearance.

So, yeah there are some differences in the headshell, the font, the handle... but really, they did a pretty decent job. I'm thinking they only made 100 of each of the 1959S and 1987S models because; (1) maybe they only had so many of the original gold anodized brushed aluminum panels, Drake transformers and other hardware, and/or (2) to feel out the market for a reissue product.

The 73 Marshalls came out with the turret boards and later used the new circuit boards during the end of the run. The reissue used the circuit boards. The original in the photo is a late unit that got the circuit board. I may post some gut shots later on if I decide to tear both apart... but can tell you the reissue is much the same minus the mustard caps and older spec parts.

Sound wise, they both have the same DNA. The original is cleaner low to mid volumes than the RI, They both produce the same pick attack sensitivity and ballsy mid range with as much bass as you want to dial in. I think the difference in gain is because of the EL34s in the reissue and 6550s in the original (plus possible gain variations in the preamp tubes).

Post pictures of your original JMP if you have one! I'd like to see some others through any of the non master volume years!

Last edited:

Rick Lee

They have to have made a ton of 1959SLP reissues because I had one made in 2001 and I think they're still for sale on the various online retailers' sites. They made a PCB and a HW version of the 100w, not sure about the 1987x. The 1987xl I have is PCB. I have a '72 1987 too that's handwired with Mustard caps. I A/B it all the time with my 1987xl and, honestly the difference is very subtle and I can't barely hear it.

Advisable Owl

They have to have made a ton of 1959SLP reissues because I had one made in 2001 and I think they're still for sale on the various online retailers' sites. They made a PCB and a HW version of the 100w, not sure about the 1987x. The 1987xl I have is PCB. I have a '72 1987 too that's handwired with Mustard caps. I A/B it all the time with my 1987xl and, honestly the difference is very subtle and I can't barely hear it.
Those are newer. These were made in the 80s.

Rick Lee

I had never heard of a RI with the bat switches and polarity switch. Will keep an eye for those.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Yeah, I had an early 90s SLP reissue when they first came out. By that time they were their own thing as far as the front and rear panels but they still sounded pretty good if you clipped the filter caps. I think they still used decent iron too. I bought a turret board kit, built it up and swapped it out for the PCB. I used Sozo or Zoso or whatever caps which were supposed to be reverse engineered Mustard caps. Overall it sounded slightly better and fatter than before, but it wasn't any drastic difference because in stock form it was pretty good. The later SLP amps got kind of hacked up with the effect loops and all that stuff.

I always wanted to check out the 1987 or 1959 HW and the x models but never had a chance.

I had never heard of a RI with the bat switches and polarity switch. Will keep an eye for those.
They only made a couple hundred of them in 1988 and that was it as far as I know. I had two of them. Google 1987s and 1959s.

BADHAK

I had a 74 Superlead and a 98 Superlead but not at the same time. Both were unusably loud in stock form if going for overdriven tones but both had great bold, unforgiving cleans with a Strat......especially the 74. More similarities than differences really.

Oatie

I personally like the Mustard caps in the JMP amps using the EL34 Tubes.

You have beautiful amps there, if you convert the 6550 amp to EL34 and a Lar Mar MV, it will be so much more fun.

There is nothing like the sound of a Super Lead cranked up, even a JMP50.

Dr. Tweedbucket

I personally like the Mustard caps in the JMP amps using the EL34 Tubes.

You have beautiful amps there, if you convert the 6550 amp to EL34 and a Lar Mar MV, it will be so much more fun.

There is nothing like the sound of a Super Lead cranked up, even a JMP50.
Thanks,
I totally would like to go the EL34 route ... I think I have to swap some resistors though because I don't think the 25K pot has enough range to bias the amp properly as is. I agree that the EL34 is the way to go.

sickboy79

I have a 1997 1959SLP with an upgraded Mercury Magnetics transformer set (bad tube took out the original OT so I just upgraded everything for kicks). It's killer. I also have a 72 SL. They are definitely a similar voicing. Brighter and more aggressive with more gain than the "traditional" Plexi era that came before.

KR-100

Yea a local GC had a first run 1959 RI few years ago, sold it before I could get there.
Anything unique with the serial number ??

Dr. Tweedbucket

Yea a local GC had a first run 1959 RI few years ago, sold it before I could get there.
Anything unique with the serial number ??
If you are talking the metal panel RI, they are stamped into the aluminum like the originals and they start with a W and then 5 digits. That's the 1959S built in 1988. The newer 1959X or whatever, I don't know what they did there.

Rick Lee

What's a good price for a 1988 1959 reissue with the polarity and bat switches and in perfect condition? I have lead on what I think is one of these for $1300ish. Worth it?

DiNiro

I have a 93 reissue and hope I could sell it for 1300. Seems like the 88 would be worth at least that much.

Trending Topics