Marshally clean . .slight breakup ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dankayaker, Feb 22, 2006.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

After watching the Cral Verheyan clips over at Hugerack.com I again am reminded that this tone is the tone that makes me want to play more and more, and truelly inspires me.
    Carl is using a Flexi with a verb & delay in front and a Strat (and of coarse his talent)
    I'm wondering in addition to the Flexi, what else gets this gorgeous complex dynamic tone in the EL34 world.

I've been a EL84 guy for a while but I'm really thinking about making a change.

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

3. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Get a Marshall 2061 and keep your EL84's!

4. dankayaker

http://www.hugeracksinc.com

Yes, that's for the corrected link . . .. the other link may have brought up some adult site.

Marshall 2061 is EL84, won't this sound like an EL84 amp ? I know there's more to it than just power tubes but I have not heard the tones I'm describing coming from a EL84 based amp.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Roccaforte Rockie. Another EL84 wonder. Tremendous cleans and mild breakup. TOTAL pedal slut.

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I feel lost in these forums sometimes, not having owned any of the amps people use for reference tones - no Plexis, no BFDR's, no AC30's. The 2061 does sound like it belongs in the Marshall family though, and it doesn't sound like a Vox. They are cool little amps and would be a good choice for a studio. I must admit I have a predilection for EL84's. It's the ideal guitar amp tube as far as I'm concerned. You should hear my Zeeta with Mullards in it!

8. dankayaker

I like EL84 amps also but I find myself really desiring that tone demonstrated by Carl Verheyan with the Flexi. I'm confused . . that's about all I know right now.

I'm going to look long and hard at the Flexi and Aiken.

9. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Simple...Matchless Clubman. The EL34 girth of a Marshall with the complex chime and sparkle of a Vox.

10. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

Check out the Nick Greer Underdog 30 which is a Matchless destroyer old or new and the Nick Greer CAM 18 ! The Cam 18 is what you seem to be des:BEER cribing !

11. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

It is the THUNDERBOLT 30 ! Sorry ! The Underdog is his Underdog 15 Tweed Deluxe killer and with 6V6's ! Too Much ---:BEER

12. stratofied

stratofied Member

Germino Club 40.

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Get the new Marshall 1959HW and a good attenuator, I'm using a two volume Ultimate Attenuator or a Komet Airbrake.

I A/B's it extensively with a mint, all original, 1967 Plexi and the new one was 99.5% the same and the guy that owns the original liked the new one better. You have to clip the bright cap out, IMO. This amp gets that "pop" to the notes and the extreme dynamics of the classic "on the edge" tone better than any amp I've ever had, and I've had a lot. Even with an attenuator, it sounds killer. Sure it sounds better with no attenuator, but I just always use the attenuator and it really doesn't bother me.

I've been buying boutique amps trying to get that great old Marshall tone and now that I've finally got a real Marshall again, this is THAT tone.