• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Martin 00-42SC

mathiassiv

Any love? Thinking this might be my next purchase.

wsj19zq1rnoy4eb1zfa4.jpg

ipb74mpbinc9fff6ebiz.jpg

agsry4qerp0nxfs5e9gc.jpg

Cocobolo!
gprlt8znp2koaj75z81n.jpg

Look at that rosette!!
r0f9wuyu2xlkaxvpa59o.jpg

(Pictures borrowed from Reverb)

Specs:
Construction Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
Body Size: 00-12 Fret
Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
Rosette: Custom Style 45
Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped (Golden Era Style)
Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce 1/4''
Back Material: Solid Cocobolo
Back Purfling: Style 45 - Black Mosaic
Side Material: Solid Cocobolo
Endpiece: Grained Ivoroid
Endpiece Inlay: Black/Maple Fiber
Binding: Grained Ivoroid
Top Inlay Style: Style 42
Side Inlay: Black/Maple/Black Fiber
Back Inlay: Black/Maple/Black Fiber
Neck Material: Select Hardwood
Neck Shape: Modified V
Nut Material: Bone
Headstock: Slotted/Square Slots/Diamond/Square Taper
Headplate: Solid Cocobolo
Heelcap: Grained Ivoroid w/ Black/Maple/Black Fiber
Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
Scale Length: 24.9''
Number of Frets Clear: 12
Number of Frets Total: 19
Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-7/8''
Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-5/16''
Fingerboard Position Inlays: Style 42 Snowflakes - Paua Pearl
Fingerboard Binding: Grained Ivoroid
Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
Finish Top: Polished Gloss
Finish Neck: Polished Gloss
Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
Bridge Style: Pyramid w/ Drop-In Saddle
Bridge String Spacing: 2-5/16''
Saddle: 16'' Radius/Compensated/Bone
Tuning Machines: Waverly Brass Open-Geared w/ Small Ivoroid Buttons
Recommended Strings: Martin Studio Performance Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)
Bridge & End Pins: White w/Paua Pearl Dots
Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color
Case:Custom Case

Last edited:

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of 00 12 fretters. I'm not a big fan of 42 cosmetics, but I like the way they extended the rosette through the fingerboard. :aok

paulscape

Judging by your photos I guess you have to weigh up how it plays and sounds rather than how it looks and what are its specs. It's easy to get pulled away by aesthetics but you must be honest as a player in regards to what you want in terms of MUSIC. Be critical before spending hard earned money.

I can stress this with a little authority as I have just come back from overseas after 12 years living abroad and recently traded a bunch of gear for a very nice Martin acoustic. In many ways the store won when you consider what they have of mine they can sell 'in the future'...but I also won because of what tone I have in my fingers 'right now'.

The spec sheet and visuals is important....but to what degree????? It often pales into insignificance in many musical areas. I traded a modded plexi marshall for a great piece of acoustic guitar gear...upon entering the store they were a bit dubious about a straight trade...then they plugged in my my modded marshall and within a few seconds I saw a huge grin around the store assistant player - he said 'it does sound amazing' ...he is a great player....and me: 'dude it sounds f@&king brutal'. But I wanted a Martin. I have lots of amps but not many great acoustics.

I get home with my new acoustic and start strumming...within seconds my wife is like 'what is that? it sounds absolutely amazing!'.

I really dont think you can go wrong with any Martin...it's more a matter of what style, size, genre, price and comfort level you're after.

Gorgeous but what does it sound like? Newer Martins are very inconsistent.

I have no idea of the whole sphere about how consistent they are but what I can recommend in regard to this is:
- check the model is not a demo model being sold off cheaply with many scratches etc,
- Consider the strings,
- check the back and sides of guitar as occasionally you can see glue irregularities or seepage,
- Check the guitar/finish in natural bright sunlight to reveal all its good and bad points,
- Make sure you know about acoustic guitar action and have a means to adjust it to your liking. A friend of mines cheap acoustic plays amazing because it has 'great action', not because it is a great guitar!

Good luck and write a hit song! You only live once!

Last edited:

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member

Martins have always been inconsistent, but they turn out more great sounding guitars than not. I owned a '55 D28 for a few years that was not good at all. Beautiful, perfect Brazilian Rosewood, but I had an Alvarez that sounded better.

mathiassiv

I'm a big fan of 00 12 fretters. I'm not a big fan of 42 cosmetics, but I like the way they extended the rosette through the fingerboard. :aok

Indeed! It is a great detail.

Would never buy it without trying it first... Check out this video:

Judging by your photos I guess you have to weigh up how it plays and sounds rather than how it looks and what are its specs. It's easy to get pulled away by aesthetics but you must be honest as a player in regards to what you want in terms of MUSIC. Be critical before spending hard earned money.

I can stress this with a little authority as I have just come back from overseas after 12 years living abroad and recently traded a bunch of gear for a very nice Martin acoustic. In many ways the store won when you consider what they have of mine they can sell 'in the future'...but I also won because of what tone I have in my fingers 'right now'.

The spec sheet and visuals is important....but to what degree????? It often pales into insignificance in many musical areas. I traded a modded plexi marshall for a great piece of acoustic guitar gear...upon entering the store they were a bit dubious about a straight trade...then they plugged in my my modded marshall and within a few seconds I saw a huge grin around the store assistant player - he said 'it does sound amazing' ...he is a great player....and me: 'dude it sounds f@&king brutal'. But I wanted a Martin. I have lots of amps but not many great acoustics.

I get home with my new acoustic and start strumming...within seconds my wife is like 'what is that? it sounds absolutely amazing!'.

I really dont think you can go wrong with any Martin...it's more a matter of what style, size, genre, price and comfort level you're after.

I have no idea of the whole sphere about how consistent they are but what I can recommend in regard to this is:
- check the model is not a demo model being sold off cheaply with many scratches etc,
- Consider the strings,
- check the back and sides of guitar as occasionally you can see glue irregularities or seepage,
- Check the guitar/finish in natural bright sunlight to reveal all its good and bad points,
- Make sure you know about acoustic guitar action and have a means to adjust it to your liking. A friend of mines cheap acoustic plays amazing because it has 'great action', not because it is a great guitar!

Good luck and write a hit song! You only live once!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.
Looks vs. sounds: I get what you're saying. What I was considering at first was the OM-42, which is a 14-fret fairly small bodied guitar. I've been looking at a few Collings guitars aswell, but nothing beats this one (IMO) in terms of looks. I'm going to arrange a trip to a few places to try them all so to make up my mind. I did like the OM-42, though.

Gonna have your recommendations in mind when I get the chance to play it.
Thanks!

One more thing;

Wouldn't a Martin at this price range be consideres a "custom shop" model? Or is it a regular production model? ie. equally susceptible to irregularities/inconsistencies?

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
If you are considering Collings, be sure to play some similar models. You won't find many with the same ornamentation, but an Indian Rosewood/Sitka 00-2H is a fantastic guitar. The only inconsistencies with Collings are outstanding vs. "more outstanding" :)

davess23

Gold Supporting Member
One of my main guitars is an older Collings 000-2H. I love the 12-fret designs.

And sure, don't buy a guitar that doesn't sound and play great...but that said, I think that 00 is beautiful. Not so certain I prefer the fingerboard ornamentation at the soundhole to the traditional 45 style pearl inlay all around the board, but I could get used to it.

schwa

That is a beautiful guitar, but not for me. I am a Martin fan, and love mine, but somewhere along the line, I figured out that I can't afford the bling on 40 series guitars.

People pay a lot for that pearl, but since it doesn't add anything to the sound, I'll stick with the plainer models.

If you have the cash, more power to ya. I wish I did.

mathiassiv

That is a beautiful guitar, but not for me. I am a Martin fan, and love mine, but somewhere along the line, I figured out that I can't afford the bling on 40 series guitars.

People pay a lot for that pearl, but since it doesn't add anything to the sound, I'll stick with the plainer models.

If you have the cash, more power to ya. I wish I did.

I get that. I've been there. I were really turned off the first time I saw the rosette/neck pocket bling on the OM-42, but I kind of got used to it.
IMG_1741.jpg

H. Mac

Judging by your photos I guess you have to weigh up how it plays and sounds rather than how it looks and what are its specs. [I deleted the remainder of Paulscape's quote for brevity.

Paulscape's post is spot on, and really nails it. Looks can deceive, and in the long run, the real satisfaction is in the playing.

I'm a long time Martin fan, and IMO, their 12 fretters are their best sounding guitars. I have a few of their 14 fretters, and I won't throw stones at them, but their 12 fretters are even harder to set down!

One more thing;

Wouldn't a Martin at this price range be consideres a "custom shop" model? Or is it a regular production model? ie. equally susceptible to irregularities/inconsistencies?

I don't think that price determines whether a Martin is Custom or regular production. My understanding is that if it's a Custom, the word, "Custom" should be stamped right next to the serial number on the neck block.

The spec sheet in the OP says it's Sitka, but to me, based on the color, grain, and bookmatch in the pics, it looks more like adi. If it were me I'd double check: I'd email the serial number to Martin Customer Service, and get the sheet that matches the serial number.

As far as Schwa's comment that, People pay a lot for that pearl, but since it doesn't add anything to the sound, I'll stick with the plainer models. I fully agree. For me, bling and especially neck binding are unwanted distractions, and accordingly, I stick with the older 18 and 21 series, although I've had a few nice 28 series guitars.

But there's room for lots of different opinions, and lots of people like the 28 and higher series.

It looks like the OP is going to end up with a great guitar, so have fun!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom