Martin 000-15 auditorium or what for light to medium strumming

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Standard 64, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

I was thinking of purchasing this guitar for light to medium strumming.What do you guys think?Or what should I get for light to medium strumming in a smaller guitar?Thanks.

2. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Had this guitar for a few years. It was my favorite acoustic guitar that I've ever owned. I say you really can't go wrong with one... I did all the "Sad Bastard Music" in my sig with it.

3. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

I have a Martin 000-15S 12 Fret Slothead that works with many different styles. It takes pretty aggressive strumming and is a fantastic Finger Picking guitar - a fantastic all arounder. I think you can't go wrong with a Martin period let alone a solid wood Mahogany (personally preferred over Sapele) constructed 000-15.

Here's a few threads from the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum that should give you some good info.

The 15 Series Club
    http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/485?page=1

Which 1st Martin? OO-15 or OOO15?
    http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/773441#reply-773441

Good luck with your decision!

4. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

How can you tell mahogany from sapele?

5. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

First, the 15 Series Martin's are absolutely GREAT guitars. I love 'hog top acoustics.....they sound so woody, organic......and are extremely balanced.

SA Mahogany is *usually* less striped than Sapele.......but there are exceptions to that.

Sapele is *usually* more striped than SA Mahogany......but there are exceptions to that as well.....as evidenced by some stunning looking quilted Sapele.

Tonally.......there is not a lot of difference to my ears. They sound remarkably similar.

Here are a couple examples of each (on my Larrivee's)

SA Mahogany

[​IMG]

Sapele

[​IMG]

6. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

And for comparison sakes only.....here is a gloss top SA Mahogany......

[​IMG]

7. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

Here's a pic of my Mahogany 000-15S

[​IMG]

I'm sure not everyone will agree with me but this is my opinion.

A Somewhat Typical of the Sapele you'll find on less expensive models. Nothing wrong with it if you like it - I'm not into the striped look.
    [​IMG]

There are a few different types, some highly figured with killer quilting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've not owned a Sapele wood guitar but have heard some people say there is no difference in sound quailty. I visually prefer Mahogany and it's old school appeal, LOVE it's ROCKIN Tone with the 000S Rumble. It's in disturbingly short supply, now primarily used on mid to high end Martins and others brands could make it more in demand in the future - I've seen Sapele guitars take longer to sell than the same model in Hog. Martin still lists it as a possibly available wood along with Sapele but I don't think Martin is shipping the 15 Series in Hog any longer. If this is what you want you'll have to search for one new that some dealer has had in stock for a while or just buy a used one.

The UMGF has them in their for sale section from time to time.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/forums/23

YMMV

8. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I had a Martin O-15 and it sounded great. I love the sound and idea of mahogany acoustics - great tone wood. As long as you play it first and find a guitar that speaks to you, you won't go wrong!

Hi Scott! Beautiful guitars!

9. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Thanks Doug!!!

I luvs me some 'hog.

:love: