• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Martin 000 15m Tell Me What You think

woodylong

Silver Supporting Member
I have been thinking about buying one of these Martins solid mahogany backs sides & top.. I'm looking for $1000 acoustic guitar or less no electronics need. I want good playing guitar no thrills just all guitar.. short scale would be nice to boot

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
The 000-15s are long (25 1/2") scale. I have a 000-15S (slotted headstock). They are similar to the 000-15Ms, but without as much bling. I think it's an excellent guitar. Really throaty blues voice that sounds great fingerpicked or strummed.

lamenlovinit

Mahogany topped guitars have a certain sound. They aren't particularly suited as a primary guitar. Doesn't mean they aren't cool in their own way, but they are not "all around" guitars.

If you're looking for a great all around guitar in the $1000 range, I would look elsewhere. Older used Taylors and Larrivees would be my choice. Lots of people get the Martin 15s because they are the only Martins they can afford. Some actually get them because they want a mahogany topped guitar. But it's usually not their primary guitar.

Then there are the "I'm gonna be a mahogany guitar guy" who owns many. Those people are not to be trusted...:p Of course I'm a National Guitar guy, and we are not to trusted either and many feel that our guitars are not "all around guitars" either... In fact there was the dreaded Mahogany Guitar vs National Guitar War of 1940 :mob

DoctorBob

I have #25 guitars--#5 acoustics, a Martin 000-28EC, '54 D-28, Gibby '66 B-25, Collings C-10, and Martin 000-15M.It is my go to acoustic. Long scale, smaller body,1&11/16,14 frets clear, all hog. Opens up real nice and the satin finish polishes to a sheen with playing over time. I had the action lowered a bit-plays great-like a Taylor i.e. almost like an electric. Great woody tone-I'm a fingerstyle player and can get my fingers in there to do whatever.Could not recommend it more highly. If you can find an unsold Martin 000-15 (sapele not hog-same geetar, no difference, very simlalr wood) you might save a few bucks..Really a great guitar at a pretty low price. It is not a beginner geetar--its the real thing; they saved bucks by few appointments and the satin finish.I've had mine three years and just from playing it is essentially all buffed out and does not look satin now.There are other all hog geetars out there like Santa Cruz 00029 and some Collings models--those are great geetars and a heck of a lot more $$$ than the 000-15M, the Martin does compare favorably after it opens up..

tennisplayer

No idea what the hell poster #3 is talking about. They are great smooth sounding acoustics. No frills, well built.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
No idea what the hell poster #3 is talking about. They are great smooth sounding acoustics. No frills, well built.
I agree. My 000-15S is my only acoustic. I suppose if I were a pro (or very wealthy) I'd want an HD-28 and a 000-18 (and maybe a couple of Gibsons, a Santa Cruz, a National, a nice nylon string...), but the 000-15S works as an 'only acoustic' for me.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the 000-15M over my 000-15S because the tuners are nicer, the neck is 1 11/16" (as opposed to 1 3/4" on mine) and has 14 frets clear of the body. I went with the slothead because I got a killer deal on Craigslist.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the more I play mine, the better it sounds. It's a 2000 that hadn't been played much when I bought it in '06. It's really opened up since then.

lamenlovinit

I'm talking about the fact that they sound different than a spruce top guitar. Do you disagree? Do they ring as well and as long? No because they lack the overtones (harmonics). That means that the fundamental (the actual note you are playing) is stronger but it's a much less rich and complex sound. That's one reason why they are so popular with blues fingerpickers. I've played a bunch from Martin and Larrivee, and SCGC. Like I said, nothing wrong with them, but just like spruce, and cedar, and koa, they have a characteristic. I wouldn't want a Cedar or Koa top as my primary guitar either.

Glad you like yours. But if you were offered a 18 series Martin in a straight up trade would you pick the 15?

woodylong

Silver Supporting Member
I would like to say Martin D18 or D28 would be great, they are in the $2000 + range...But I wouldn't want to take them to gig, maybe over to a buddy's house or church. I had a Taylor 414ce and was good guitar but it wasn't for me so I sold it... I have also looked at Seagull & Epi master craft...

royd

I think the 15 series is the best bang for the buck in the Martin line. True, a mahogany top doesn't sound exactly like a spruce top, but that doesn't mean than any individual player might not decide that is their primary guitar sound. I had a mahogany top Guild D25 back in the day that was my only guitar for years and loved it.

With the option of either an 18 or a 15 even up? I'm really not sure. I just might go with the 15. Add in the real issue of the difference in cost and I'd take the 15 every day.

lamenlovinit

I think the 15 series is the best bang for the buck in the Martin line. True, a mahogany top doesn't sound exactly like a spruce top, but that doesn't mean than any individual player might not decide that is their primary guitar sound. I had a mahogany top Guild D25 back in the day that was my only guitar for years and loved it.

With the option of either an 18 or a 15 even up? I'm really not sure. I just might go with the 15. Add in the real issue of the difference in cost and I'd take the 15 every day.
Well, to be blunt you are limiting yourself to Martins so you have no choice. A used Larrivee or Taylor is almost a sure thing in terms of getting a good sounding, great playing instrument. Dogs are absolutely rare. Think of it as the NFL draft. After the first pick, which is usually a dog, the general advice is get the best player regardless of position. In the guitar world the 15 is not the best player. It's like 6th or 7th round. Not 6th or 7th pick, but 6th or 7th round.

Sorry to offend the fans, but I take it seriously when someone asks what they should spend their hard earned money on. If you really want a Martin, play what you have, or buy a used recording king and save up your pennies. Stop drinking soda. Don't eat out, or if you do the Mcdoubles are a buck and it's a double cheeseburger. Save until you get the 18 if you simply MUST have Martin. Or you can go for the best player in the draft with your pick/budget. It's not a Martin. What it is is for you to decide, but having played them both quite a bit, I'd still go for a Larrivee L-5MT hog top over a 15 martin. Check them out. they aren't a "bare bones" model. Full on professional guitar, built to the same quality level as Larrivees top of the line. Gloss finish, standard maple binding and inlays.

sharpshooter

I'am very satisfied with my 000-15M, it's my only acoustic, I play it every day,,I love the sound of it with a slide.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Glad you like yours. But if you were offered a 18 series Martin in a straight up trade would you pick the 15?
I admit that if someone offered me a nice, no issues 000-18 for my 000-15S, I'd take it. I'd also take a 000-28, or a 000-28H. ;)

A D-18? That would really depend on the individual guitar... It would have to be a pretty nice one, otherwise I might actually pass. Or, I'd take it, sell the D-18, buy a 000-15M and have some money left over...

I do agree with what you're saying about the fundamental of the note being stronger and the rest. For most people, only a spruce top will do as their go-to acoustic. As this thread proves, however, many are happy with just a mahogany topped guitar. The OP might be one of those people. Of course, he or she should play as many acoustics as possible before plunking down cash.

It would not do for me as my only acoustic guitar (I play bluegrass, and the rule book sez I must have a spruce-top dreadnaught!), but if I ever run across a beater 000-15S for cheap, I will be on it like a cheap suit! Wide nut+12 fret neck is my fingerstyle ideal. I think I would like the dry punch of a mahogany top.

facesfan

Well, to be blunt you are limiting yourself to Martins so you have no choice. A used Larrivee or Taylor is almost a sure thing in terms of getting a good sounding, great playing instrument. Dogs are absolutely rare.
OK,pull over sir,I'm Officer Goodtone of the Acoustic Guitar Police and you've just committed a violation.

Sorry, but dogs of the Taylor and Larrivee family are quite common and we have to frequently clean them up off the streets. You can pay your fine for the crime of distributing questionable information by mail or appear in TGP court to argue your case through your next post.

zombywoof

While I have not played a new one based on the older ones I have spent some time with they are my favorite Martin for fingerpicking. Nothing snazzy and not as quick or punchy as a spruce top guitar but just a nice round warm sound. Just really pleasant sounding guitars and alot of fun to play. Lots of bang for your buck with these.

lamenlovinit

OK,pull over sir,I'm Officer Goodtone of the Acoustic Guitar Police and you've just committed a violation.

Sorry, but dogs of the Taylor and Larrivee family are quite common and we have to frequently clean them up off the streets. You can pay your fine for the crime of distributing questionable information by mail or appear in TGP court to argue your case through your next post.
You'll never get me copper! I've done time for San Quentin to Joliet, and you can count on two things. The pepper steak'll kill ya, and Taylor and Larrivee have less dogs than Martin! :bonk

ballynally

I think it's ok to have strong opinions.Sometimes you get interesting responses that are helpful.Anyway, i agree that that the mah topped guitars do not have the resonance of spruce. But one of the strong points of mah are the way the sound behaves up and down the neck. Spruce usually thins out quite considerably up the neck while mah stays pretty even. It's just a thicker sound. Moreover, when you amplify them, the mah is just better to control. The spruce top end then you really have to tame.Now, if you consider those things, the all mah can easily be your main guitar, as it is for many. And furthermore, why would you have to have a main guitar. I use all of my guitars: Tanglewood all mah, Guild D18, Lakewood Jumbo, Nylon string, Yamaha D28 type. Depends on the gig

spacelooper

I stumbled across this page while searching about the Martin 00015M guitar... I recently purchased one and absolutely LOVE it. I think it is one of the best purchases for the money in the new guitar market. I have definitely not experienced the amount of Martin "dogs" in the last several years since they have been Plek'ing their guitars. I don't think you can go wrong with the 00015M or the 0015M. As fas as the ridiculous comment about Mahogany's not being your only guitar etc...tell that to Nick Drake... his Guid M20 is all he used to record with... Nick's 3 albums are still timeless and have yet to be touched by scores of immitaters. I know this post is an older one and the guy originally posting has already probably got something....but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. LOVE the 00015M.

Irving Pye

I have been thinking about buying one of these Martins solid mahogany backs sides & top.. I'm looking for $1000 acoustic guitar or less no electronics need. I want good playing guitar no thrills just all guitar.. short scale would be nice to boot

Just recently sold my 000-15M. Terrific hog if you like 1 11/16 nut with 2 1/8 finger spacing. Beautiful sound but not made for hard strumming. More of a finger style, light chord player...and oh-what sustain! Awesome. I would recommend it for recording or playing for yourself. It gets lost among other guitars when gigging. More of a mid-range tone...but beautiful. If you need a larger nut width and finger spacing, L.A. Guitars sells them custom. J.D.

Mahogany Martin guitars are mostly awesome. I say mostly because everyone turns out a dud, now and then.

It is a 'go to' guitar in the studio.

Well balanced and not so immediate in response.

Very warm and somewhat darker than a spruce or cedar topped instrument.

Good stuff.

Trending Topics