Martin Acoustics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jsm355, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jsm355

jsm355 Member

I am close to purchasing a Martin Acoustic , a very high end model . I have heard that there may be some issues w/ the tops cracking perhaps due to the woods not being seasoned or aged enough . Wood can be very particular at times . ???? Any info is helpful . Thanks

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

3. jsm355

jsm355 Member

it's an O-45 12 fret Limited ed. However my question just doesn't apply to this model , just Martin's tops on all acoustics. Problem / No Problem ??

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Not a problem if the guitar is properly cared for, particularly when the air is very dry.

Bryan

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

You live in NYC, as I do. Since we get all four seasons here (today is hot and humid, winter is cold and bone dry) you really need to have a humidifier for the winter, and a hydrometer, one you can trust. I'm not exaggerating, and definitely keep it in the case when not used! Martin's tops won't crack any sooner/later than any other thin spruce top, which is pretty soon if not taken care of, no matter what the age.

By the way, the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum is a great forum you should join to field questions about your Martin especially since you're diving into the deep end of the pool right off the bat. They're having a get together this saturday in NYC too if you check their events subforum, so head over, ask questions, play some killer Martins, and so forth!

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Good advice. I absolutely agree. Buy that Martin - and care for it!

7. jsm355

jsm355 Member

Thanks Bryan T ,
    But what I'm after is perhaps there is real issue at the moment w/ aquisition of wood
    for Martin and that perhaps a newer source of top grade materials is coming from other sources that seem to be up to standard but the fail in short periods of time . I may not be voicing my thoughts as clearly as needed . I do own mostly vintage guitars / archtops /semi-hollows etc . So I am aware of the humidity / moisture issues.

8. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

+: keep it cased.
    I love Martins and have played them since the early 70's, but I find them a tad delicate (perhaps one of the reasons they sound so cool). Not to generalize too much.
    I would keep any acoustic cased.

9. jsm355

jsm355 Member

For JAHN ,
    Thanks ... I found it .

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

great, and the place to put the question would be the Log Cabin subforum, where they discuss woods used in Martins. offhand i'm pretty sure Martin isn't using any green wood, but it never hurts to ask!

11. NativH

NativH Member

I have a '51 D18 and never had a problem with wood shrinkage, swelling, etc. And I effectively live in a swamp so unlike you, too much moisture is our problem down here. Luckily we also run A/C constantly which provides a decent amount of dehumidification. I just keep it cased and bring it out every couple of months or so (since I mostly play electric these days) and keep it out and the case open to allow the A/C to do it's thing.

12. jsm355

jsm355 Member

Thanks to all for your input ! Much appreciated !

13. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Nice guitar, but if you're going to drop that kind of cash, I'd really recommend trying a Collings.

If you're looking for a small parlor-sized guitar, their 0 series and C-10's are really outstanding.

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've not heard of any wood problems specific to Martin.

And I second keeping it either cased or in a climate-controlled environment.

15. devinb

devinb Member

By the way, you can buy a cheap cigar hygrometer for like $5...Keep the guitar at 45% or so and you should be fine.

16. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Martins rock! I'm on my 4th one. All good advice above (except the Collings comment....just kidding : ))

Keeping any acoustic in the proper humidity range is essential.

17. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

I frequent the UMGF too and haven't heard of any Martin specific issues. My Marquis is relatively recent (2005) and I haven't had any problems (I do keep it humidified).

18. dodgeone

dodgeone Senior Member

I own a very beautifull D-42 that i bought new in 2000. No structural issue's to report. I too live in N.Y. , I am very carefull to control humidity levels in my home in summer and most especially in winter with a humidifier in my Guitaratoriam. Obviously Wood aquiusition by Martin is extremely subjective..... AS far as TOPS go, German/Italian alpine spruce, Sitka,Adirondak. ETC....???!!!

19. larimar

larimar Member

No problems with my late 90's triple O' so far. I live in N.E. and the most I do is keep it in the case when not in use.

20. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I have an '85 D-35 that spent the first 5 years of its life in a case in a music shop in the Western NY region. I've owned it since '90 and have zero problems with it. I don't play it that much (gone electric) but it stays in the case all the time in a fairly contolled environment.

Just take care of it and it will take care of you. Good luck!