Martin Authentic Strings?

Martin Authentic Strings are.....

• just relabeled packaging of the old model strings.

• redesigned strings and sound fantastic!

• redesigned strings but I’m not a fan.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
I’m late to the game on this but I’ve done a search and the only thing I could find was back in 2018 a handful of players labeled them as repackaged marketing tactics of old strings.

I’ve had a very strong dislike for Martin strings in the past. 1) they always sounded dull and lifeless and 2) they lasted for a single set list before needing changed again. Went to EJs and then nanowebs and found those two to be great.

Bought a new D28 and bought a set of strings for it thinking I would be replacing the stock Martin strings. I was bracing myself for it to sound like a thuddy wet blanket. Nope, these are staying on and when it’s time to replace I’m putting another set of authentic life span 2.0 mediums back on. I want to replicate this exact tone again. Amazing!

What’s your opinion on these?

Last edited:

Bluedano1

I happen to be a fan of these strings
(* and at the Martin forum, I am definitely a minority- folks don't seem to like these as much as the SP's they replaced)

A few quick points-

I have used ( mainly, not that I have not tried others) mainly D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights for probably close to 20 years on a 27 year old Martin D1 - a cheap solid Sitka/spruce D. Sounded great, played well. My only acoustic, till 2 years ago. A million gigs

- I have NEVER liked any Martin string- my experience is that they felt tight/stiff (no give) or rusted quickly- so, after this experience. just forgot about Martin strings, years. (BTW, tried Monels- they feel weird on wrap/don't like their gauging)

About 5-6 years ago I basically switched to John Pearse PB lights ( sometimes the 80/20's nice string, less tension than a PB) as I think they sound great, but a little more comfy wrap on the wound strings ( than D'Addarios).
Anyway, early last year I thought I'd try the Martin Authentic PB lights, just curious, and can't explain but they feel great on my fingers, nice warm yet bright tone on my guitar, plenty of volume, and last 3+ gigs ( either duo 'all-purpose music' or bluegrass ensemble) which is all I want. Can't understand why others don't like, but strings are personal.

So basically I use either Pearse or the new Martin's Authentic (Phosphor Bronze light) on the Martin. Both make us happy!

( I now have a Blueridge 000-style acoustic with slightly higher action and LOUD! It prefers the lighter tension of the Pearse 80/20's lights)

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Martin Authentic PB lights, just curious, and can't explain but they feel great on my fingers, nice warm yet bright tone on my guitar, plenty of volume, and last 3+ gigs.
This is what I find also. Just got the guitar yesterday and I can say I’ve played a full 4-5 hours so far (yes I took off from work) and these Authentics don’t show any signs of dullness or wear so far.

Mr Fingers

I haven't used these new ones because like both of you above, I have had bad--not neutral, not slightly disappointed, but B. A. D. bad--results with Martin strings previously. I have avoided them since then, and it may well be that they've changed production, etc. and are hitting a better standard. I still wonder why if the new ones are supposed to be great, they offer the previous versions. Does someone decide "I think I'll go for the mediocre ones."??

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't used these new ones because like both of you above, I have had bad--not neutral, not slightly disappointed, but B. A. D. bad--results with Martin strings previously. I have avoided them since then, and it may well be that they've changed production, etc. and are hitting a better standard. I still wonder why if the new ones are supposed to be great, they offer the previous versions. Does someone decide "I think I'll go for the mediocre ones."??
So they still carry the original line?

Bluedano1

A few months ago I kind of tried to find online, the old ( NOS?) Martin SP's that many on Martin Forum love ( and hate the Authentics, and going back to D'Addario EJ 17"s, the PB medium)
just to see what was so great about them. But no luck, UNLESS I wanted to pay $15 on Amazon- no!
I'm pretty sure I tried these when they first came out, and once again, did not like. Hard to play/stiff

nickelwound

Silver Supporting Member
Been using Martin 80/20s for a couple years now. Switched from Gibson or John Pearse.
I like them for their crisp sound and they last as long as any other string. Much easier to get if I need a set quickly.
I think the Authentics are the same string as the previous versions with updated packaging.

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Authentics are the same string as the previous versions with updated packaging.
man I’m not sure about that because I hated Martin strings before. With that said, I only tried the SPs a handful of times throughout the years. Just crap, dead and blah. They changed something since 2005 when I last tried them. Maybe since I’m not standing in front of 412 cabs any longer? Lol

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Body chemistry is always a factor in string life. When the manufacturer changes the formula, you may notice a change, good or bad.

I liked the monel myself. Oddly, I used them on a Gibson CF 100 to get a result like old Gibson Sonomatics.

Steadfastly

I don't think I have heard of a true test regarding strings. The comments are "I had these X rand on and changed them to Y brand and what a difference!" There are always factors never taken into consideration.

Different guitar
Different songs
Different temperature/humidity
When playing with the new strings you had one of your best playing days in a long time
Light attack on old strings and heavy attack on new strings
Different room
Very old strings vs new strings
Different string gauges
And on and on and on.

Hi folks (I'd forgotten I was on this forum!) I've tended to avoid Martin strings because the choice was overwhelming for a simple man like me (simply used D'addario PBs However, when I read on the UMGF that many were being discontinued and that many mourned the passing of SPs so I went on ebay and bought a few sets to try. (I was having a spat with D'addario over their cheapened outer packaging of ten packs which cause the inner "sealed" packs to be punctured. I quite liked the SPs, slightly less bass than D'adds, plus the pretty goldy coloured 1st and 2nd. So then I tried a set of the new SPs - first impression - unwounds looked like zinc - grey, dead. Kept them on for maybe two weeks. I use Martin bronze M190s on one of my 12 strings. Found myself putting on a set called "Authentics" last week. the octave G broke before it got to tension (one tone down too!) Can't remember the last time I broke a string ... just sayin'

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
I installed Martin Authentic Lifespan 2.0 lights on my Taylor 214 yesterday. Sounds fantastic! I would say its similar to Elixir Nanowebs but without the jangle the Elixir seems to produce. I wouldn't say more mellow either but just more controlled in the high end. Wonderful mids and seems to have more prominent bass.

On another note, I found a near mint Taylor 514 for a great price and should be here this Thursday. I plan to install MALF2.0 lights on it also.

Trending Topics