Martin Backpacker with pickup?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by doc, Oct 11, 2008.

1. doc

doc Member

I know Martin makes a Backpacker with an installed pickup. Anybody try one, or compare that pickup choice with others? Any comments on how close to a "real guitar" it can sound or anybody use one of these on a gig?

2. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

Backpacker stink in my opinion. I own one and use it occasionally for what it was intended for--taking it on trips where a full-sized guitar wouldn't travel well. But the playing experience and tone leaves much to be desired. Can't imagine why you want to gig with one.... just my opinion.

3. doc

doc Member

Its not that I "want" to gig with one, my thought is that if you had traveled somewhere with it and could get a decent sound through a PA with one it might be even handier, whereas if you can get only a "quasi-guitarlike sound" at best it might be better not to worry about a pickup in one. It would make a great "no worries" gig guitar for a singer songwriter that flies a lot. I know with some other instruments (like the Ashbory bass) that a diminutive acoustic sound doesn't necessarily have to translate into a small amplified sound.

4. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

There are just so many better travel guitar options out there these days--admittedly more expensive, but the Backpacker is hard to even hold properly bacause of it's shape--really hard to play in a sitting position.

5. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

I use the Yamaha Silent String. It works great!