• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Martin Barre's guitar tone (listening to the Benefit album)

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Most definitely! And his playing is anything but shabby!

ROKY

Another solid vote for Martin, here . Loved his playing from the first time I heard Jethro Tull back in HS .

soapbarp90

Gold Supporting Member
Whenever I'm asked who's your favorite guitarist my answer is always Martin Barre - usually followed by a puzzled look from the person asking!
Benefit is certainly one of my all time favorites.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Benefit is a great album, it may be my favorite from Tull. I really like the Bursting Out Live album as well. I get close to his tone with a LP and an Astrotone.

billyguitar

"The Fat and Bulbous Martin Lancelot Barre" To qoute Ian Anderson. I don't know if he said that at one of the concerts I saw or I read in print somewhere. I hope you all have heard their first album This Was. Fantastic guitar on it but not by Mr. Barre.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
Always seems to fly a bit under the radar, not sure why. I saw them back in the early '70s and he was stunningly good. And neither fat nor bulbous at the time...

ibis

Saw him recently in a small local club. His tone was as good as I've heard.

riffmeister

Benefit, Stand Up, Aqualung. Jethro Tull's Triumvirate, IMO.

Oh, Living In The Past and Thick As A Brick weren't too shabby, either. ;)

I remember assimilating the albums Benefit, The Yes Album, Lizard, Tarkus, and Acquiring the Taste all around the same time in 1970-71. Basically, my head exploded. :) And when I think back on it I have to wonder wtf was in the drinking water in Great Britain at that time????

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Loved JT back in the day. I had been introduced to Bloodwyn Pig earlier and loved them and that's how I found out about Tull--the Mick Abrahms connection. Went to see them when Benefit was released...barely anyone knew who they were...they were the warm up act for Chuck Berry!!! A very incongruous combination! Anyway, the band just killed from what I remember. Loved Martin Barre's playing and tone back then....and eventually lost track of him.

Trending Topics