Martin D-35 on a budget?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by andy43, Sep 7, 2008.

1. andy43

andy43 Member

I'm looking to buy an acoustic under $800 that sounds similar to a Martin D-35. That's my favorite acoustic ever, but I'll never have the money to buy one. I went into GC and Samash the other day, but all the acoustics sounded either boomy, weak, or too bright in comparison to the Martin. What brands sound similar to Martins but without the cash on top of it?

2. northernlake

northernlake Member

$800 bucks should buy you a Martin 16-series if you look around. There's the D-16GT. You could also look at the Martin customs that are ordered by the larger chains in the US like this one; it's based on the 15-series and also all solid. Nice specs, but I've never seen one in person. I'm on the other side of the pond.

3. themadcaplaughs

themadcaplaughs Member

The martin DSR is another option to consider.

4. andy43

andy43 Member

After doing a bit more research, I've discovered that there are a few brands that follow Martins footsteps. Ones such as Blueridge, Aria, Morgan Monroe, and Johnson. Has anyone tried any of these? They sell Johnson locally so I'm going to try those out.

5. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Used Larrivee - D03-R

6. capnrock

capnrock Member

+1 Larrivee. I pitted a D03-R against way more expensive Martins and a vintage Gibson they had at the store...nothing beat the Larrivee. I did try some good Taylors that day, but the Larrivee had more of that Martin bottom end. You might also try a vintage Guild. I fell in love with one (D-50) from the early 70's, but at $1200 I thought the guy was asking a little much. You could probably find a good one in your price range if you look around.

7. brefmint

brefmint Member

I love my Blueridge BR-160. I had a bone nut and bone saddle put on and it sounds GREAT! You can't beat it for $300. I have a Martin 16 series as well and I will agree that it is one of the best deals as far as Martins go. I've played Larrivee guitars that sounded great as well. Just go around and play some solid wood guitars and see what sounds good to you. A lot of times you will be surprised at which brands you like.