• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Martin d-35 opinions wanted

TJNies

I generally shy away from D-bodied guitars these days, find that 000 or OM sized are more comfortable to play.

Having said that, I went into the local Martin dealer to audition some 000, and after grabbed an HD-35. I was amazed how nice it sounded. Full, clear, chimy! It re-sparked my interest in Dreads and luckily I later had the chance to buy relative's 74 D-28. Dreads certainly have their place in anyone's arsenal.

Fingers

I bought a D-35 in early 1970 (one of the last ones with Braz. rosewood back & sides) & I still have it. It has improved very noticeably over the years, in both sound & playability.

fitz

Big and boomy comes to mind as a poster mentioned. I have an HD-28 & my friend had a HD-35. As far as comparison, both sounded good, just different. The 28 was a little brighter and the 35 had a stronger thicker tone but still had quite a bit high end. I don't think you could go wrong.

Frozen Rat

Silver Supporting Member
I am thinking about buying one brand new I found a good deal on one for $2100.00. how do they sound?, how do they feel?, any issues with them?
I played one awhile ago and liked it a lot. And have been thinking about getting one for awhile and with discount it could be the right time. Not to mention a good self Christmas present even the wife said go ahead if I want to.

In my estimation they are one of the easiest dreads to play. You can usually get the strings low and the 1 11/16th nut makes barre chords a little easier. They're bassy, boomy and loud. They have nice harmonics due to the rosewood back and I think they are great strumming guitars.

DonRoeber

I bought a D35 in 2014. I love every minute that I play it. Mostly 'folk style', but solo and with a group.

I tried a D28, a HD28 and a HD35 as well. Kept coming back to the D35, so I made it mine.

broken_sound

Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
I am thinking about buying one brand new I found a good deal on one for $2100.00. how do they sound?, how do they feel?, any issues with them?
I played one awhile ago and liked it a lot. And have been thinking about getting one for awhile and with discount it could be the right time. Not to mention a good self Christmas present even the wife said go ahead if I want to.

https://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/213-d-35.html
https://www.martinguitar.com/media/k2/attachments/D-35_x.jpg

I was in the market for a D35 for the longest time. My dad has owned one for the past 15 years and I've seriously lusted over it since. What ended up taking my money was an HD-28. I found the HD louder, clearer, and lacked the boomy bass of the D35.

Remember all acoustics, even the same model, are different. Make sure you get what sounds and plays best to you.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I generally shy away from D-bodied guitars these days, find that 000 or OM sized are more comfortable to play.

I had a D35, but I have a shoulder injury and sold the D, went to a 000-28 - much better for me.

That said, the D35 is the only guitar I've sold that I truly miss. It was just fantastic - great rich, deep sound, looked great also. If the big body wasn't killing me I wouldn't have sold it.

Shredzilla

I bought a D35 in 2014. I love every minute that I play it. Mostly 'folk style', but solo and with a group.

I tried a D28, a HD28 and a HD35 as well. Kept coming back to the D35, so I made it mine.

LOVE that color ! Is that considered ambertone ?

Last edited:

Synex7254

D-35's are cannons! I have a Johnny Cash D-35 and it is very loud but also balanced. I've played a 1971 D-35 in my local shop and was blown away but the sound it produced and almost bought it. Something about the early 70's Martin Dreadnaughts or the aged wood just makes them sing. I would seriously consider looking at a used early 70's model. They run $1500-1800 typically depending on condition.

hendrik7

D35's are awesome. Like a D28 on steroids. That's not always a good thing though but for the right applications it's killer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom