Martin D16H appreciation!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by zerorez, Sep 13, 2008.

1. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

I have a Martin 1992 D16H with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides.

This has the pre-war X bracing from what info I have gathered and was made for a short time back in the early 90's

You do not hear much about these models or see them come up for sale to often.

Also there is no definitve link on Martin's website for discontinued models that give any info specfice for the D16H

At the time these were produced, they were raved as a good bang for the buck and good hold their own to a HD-28

I love mine and paid about some where in the neighborhood of $850 for mine back in 92 with the hardshell case.

Anybody seen one these go on ebay lately and what are they going for, have they appreciated?.

Not looking too sell mine but just curious, here are some pics

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Enjoy her Bro. A very resonant and open sounding guitar.

BTW, I am pretty sure you mean scalloped bracing. Martin never stopped using X bracing. Scalloped bracing was discontinued in the mid-1940s but can be found in quite a few models made since the 1980s (the D-18 being one notable exception).

Again, congrats.

3. zerorez

Thanks, I was just picking stuff out my past memory recognition (lol), no acoustic authority here on Martin's, thanks for the input.

4. northernlake

northernlake Member

You're right. These are bargains. In fact, the specs make it comparable to a D-18V before that model existed.

If I'm not mistaken, your has a dovetail rather than a m&t joint which is used on the 16-series now. I have a D-18V which I love. I paid about $2K so, I can only advise anyone who comes across one of those D-16H's to grab it :)

5. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

I've got a '93. I has an excellent voice. It was love at first strum. Everyone who plays it is wide eyed with amazement. The sound seems to burst from the guitar much like a 28. But when you really lay into it you can tell it's definitely not a 28. Lots of cool detail, rosewood saddle and board, snowflake markers and accents on the saddle, ebony knobs, Mammoth ivory nut and bridge, tortise binding and pick guard. There is something different about the bracing, but I don't know exactly what it is. I do remember that the guy who sold it to me said that it had an old style bracing that was not used anymore. Supposedly that contributes to the unique sound quality.
    Saw one for $1300 on ebay last summer.

Will try to post pics.

6. phusana

phusana Member

Another D-16H owner here. Original owner of a '93, a wedding present from my wife... Great guitar! I'm heading down to PA next week and am going to try to check out the factory tour.

I recently did a little research and found that the "H" indicates the Herringbone design around the soundhole and the stripe up the back.

Here's some more info from HC:

Relatively rare (about 2000 made) 1993 model Martin D-16H with original Martin case, featuring dovetail joint, forward shifted x scalloped bracing which is found only on higher end Martins, such as D-21 special ($2800 US) or pre-war Martins. The current D-16 has hybrid x bracing, not forward shifted. The forward shifted type of bracing yields a more open sounding guitar with strong sustain. Rosewood neck and bridge, bridge inlaid with abalone diamonds, satin finish on neck and body,aging toner on top, 1 11/16" nut width, mahogany neck/back/sides, spruce top, compensated bone saddle, chrome Gotoh tuners with ebony covered buttons, fingerboard inlaid with abalone diamonds and squares, neck profile low profile with adjustable truss rod.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  7. zerorez

That is some great info from HC, Thanks for posting!:)

8. geetarman

geetarman Member

I own a 87' Martin D-16M which is the predecessor to the D-16H except it's an all gloss guitar one of the best bangs for the buck I've come across.

9. onobluemeanie

onobluemeanie Member

i picked up one of these beauties in york, england for 600 sterling 6 years ago, have owned several martins but this one is special, tried it against a mossman 76 great plains yesterday,the mossman was superb, typical rosewood tone and wonderfull to play, but the herringbone was way louder and more open, mahogany all the way.! has anybody seen a triple 0 style guitar from that period? did they build any ? i bet they would be
    sweeter than a very sweet thing if so!

10. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I have a D-16R and I love it.

11. mrdaf

mrdaf Member

I bought mine new in 1991 in Camborne, as far south in England as you can go, from a Martin dealer. At that time I didn't know where to find out anything about Martins - I didn't know what an 18-style or 28-style guitar was, I just knew Martin was the best acoustic you could buy, and I had a £1,000 to spend on my first 'expensive' guitar. I already had an ancient Gibson LG1 and 74 ES-335 (both long gone).

I was told by a collector (had loads of Martins, traded in 10 of them for an old OM45, knew Eric Schoenberg etc) that these were good guitars, and that Martin were making different 16 models every year for trade shows and collectors.

Mine is just really opening up now, after being around the hot climates of France and Mallorca last year - must have hardened up the lacquer and the wood juices! For years, I didn't find it that special. Shortly I after I bought it the satin finish started coming away and after a couple of years the back came off a machine head, and another stopped functioning. I still have them, but changed them for Grover butter beans. The cheap-looking scratchplate started coming off, so I changed it for a Greven, which doesn't quite fit, but hey - it's MY guitar! Had it PLEKed 10 years ago, and it's not needed a set up until now.

Finish is pretty worn - I've played it here, Ireland, Japan, France, Spain... loads of people love this guitar, but it's only just now that I'm starting to appreciate it for what it is, partly after reading what other people are saying about it.

12. johnzias

johnzias Member

I got one new in '92. Sold it in '98. On it's own terms, it was a very pleasing guitar. As you moved up the guitar food chain though, I found it to be little stringy and weak in the upper register. Anyway, enjoy it!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  13. egordon99

egordon99 Member

1992 D16H owner here! Bought it new in 1992 from Russo Music in NJ. I was a junior in High School and couldn't believe I was actually buying a Martin!

I still have it and it sounds great after all these years.

It's pretty much a D18V in terms of construction/materials.

Great guitars if you ever come across them!

I also got ahold of a 1956 00-18 (inherited from my great uncles) and also play a Santa Cruz OM/PW and Larrivee OM-03R.

14. prickley

prickley Member

I loved that guitar! Sweet

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'll bet that guitar sings out loud and proud!:bow

16. usc2k1

usc2k1 Member

Here's my D-16H from 1993. I bought her new from Traditional Music in San Diego, which is now Buffalo Brothers. She's been all over the world with me.

[​IMG]