Martin D28 1967 advice on necks and resets

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bgwicks, Jan 12, 2008.

1. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Hi,

A guy wants to sell me a 1967 Martin D28. I haven't seen it yet, however he says it is mint, with hang tags etc.

When he told me this I thought it probably needs a neck reset if no one has ever played it much.

I also understand that this era had some neck reset issues.

I asked him if it needed a neck reset and he said he felt it was close to needing it.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an opinion on what to expect for a guitar of this era. Is the neck reset a big issue, and what should I expect in respect to the impact on value.

The seller said he felt they were going for $6k to $7k on ebay but he didn't expect to get that much.

lastly when did barzillian fretboards finish. Would a 67 be breazillian?

Thanks

2. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

I mean brazillian! I seem to be finding every way to spell it wrong.

3. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

a 67 D-28 should have Brazilian all around (back sides, fretboard peghead veneer and bridge)... a reset is not a big deal and will not affect the value if done well....if you go with a top notch luthier the D-28 will play better than new....6 to 7 K may be high but not if its in truly exceptional condition....

4. shadco

shadco Member

5. hank

hank Member

I will offer my personal experience. It is worth exactly what you pay for it, as they say. :)

From 1980 through 1996, I owned a near-mint 1967 D-28. Perfectly quartersawn Brazilian ... just a gorgeous guitar. What began to bother me was that it didn't have the presence, power and "forward-X" tone that I was really liking in other older Martins and custom maker guitars like Dudenbostel. The guitar really needed a neck set and I didn't want to invest in that. Ultimately, I sold it to a friend that really wanted it, knowing a neck set was needed.

Now, all of my acoustics have the old Martin-style forward-x bracing and red spruce tops. Big difference .... for me.

6. Ben Jam'n

Ben Jam'n Member

Many older Martins need a neck reset eventually....not a big deal if done by a pro. It's a better solution then shaving the bridge down.

They definitely have a 'sound'...I have a '53 that I'll never let go.

7. Griz

Griz Member

Yes, I had to have my '71 D28 done a few years back. What a difference!

Take it to the best Martin-approved shop you can find, and have it done by their best luthier. Don't do it on the cheap.

Congrats on a fine axe.

:AOK