Martin Dreadnought Junior, best sub $600 Martin?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ilikeguitar90, Dec 5, 2017.

1. ilikeguitar90

ilikeguitar90 Member

i saw one of these used at my local guitar store for $300 yesterday and haven't been able to get it off my mind since. I've never seen one before and wasn't expecting much since it kind of looked like a dreadnought for kids but man, it sounded great. Had that classic Martin warmth even when I played it side by side with D18 and D28. To my surprise it's all solid wood too which is crazy for a $600 new Martin.

I'm seriously considering picking it up but am wondering if there is another Martin guitar out there that compares for the price. The all solid wood construction at such an affordable price has my attention. It seems like the main Martin competitor at the price point is the X series, are those generally considered better than the Dreadnought Jr? I know they have laminate back and sides but the guitar store didn't have them to try out.

Bluedano1 and Outlaw like this.
  2. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

It’s a 15/16” size that falls (size wise) between the LXM and the OOO-18. The only things that aren’t solid wood are the fingerboard and bridge (Richlite) which wouldn’t bother me a bit. I love that it has an 1.75” nut width. It gets rave reviews. For $300.00 it’s a no brainer if all is well with the guitar. You can certainly sell it for that if you grow to unlove it.

3. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Sounds like a good guitar and a great price- I'm a Martin fan at any price point so I am biased, Ha!
    Important question- have you actually played the guitar?
    If you like it, sounds good feels good nice set-up, go for it!
    Or you can shop around and see if you can find one that'll beat it but it sure sounds like a good value

4. slooky

slooky Member

It really is a great guitar. Go and buy it,,you will love it! I have one and an American one. I play the jr d more. Solid vs hpl? Go for solid.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. Schrader

Schrader Member

It is a fantastic guitar. Fun to play. 300 is a bargain

6. Musicmaster

Musicmaster Supporting Member

Bumping this thread! I played the Sapele Dreadnought Jr. model a couple of times recently at my local music shop and really enjoyed it. I'm seriously considering going back for it. Just wondering what people think of the Fishman Sonitone pickup? The one that they have in stock is the non-pickup version. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to order in the Jr.E model, or if I should just buy the non-pickup version and install something aftermarket down the road, instead.

Bluedano1 likes this.
  7. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

My two cents ( not really a decision so much as option):
    is to try ( find) one with the Sonitone PU to hear how it sounds
    But if you really like the sound ( bonded or could see that happening?) with the actual D Jr. you tried out- I'd get the guitar, and have a non-invasive PU/ Preamp package installed later...

- just my non-committal way of trying to say how I think that the acoustic tone, and how guitar plays/feels are so important- you don't wanna put it down! ( unplugged)
    -

Musicmaster likes this.
  8. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

It sounds like a good buy, but check the neck angle. - That is, will there be a reasonable amount of saddle left when it is set up to your liking?