Martin DX1 - should I buy ?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mototpsychel, Dec 18, 2009.

1. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

I've been wanting a sub $500.00 accoustic guitar for some time now. GC has a Martin DX1 on sale for $379.00.

Is this a good price ? There's other brands, but they seem to be around the $500.00 mark, and this one plays and sounds very nice.

Interested in any feed back any one has on this model. Positives/Negatives on HPL, Mex contruction etc...

Thanks

2. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

I have the DCX1E (which goes for $650 or so) and it plays great. I love it. I imagine the DX1 is the same model save no Fishman or electronics.

For low-end acoustics, I always love Yamaha's and Ibanez. I have a Yamaha FG400 that I broke out after 15 years and it sounds excellent. No problems with tuning, the neck, bridge or intonation. Just strung it up and it sounded as good as the 1CXE. Think I bought it for $200 in '84.

As always, try'em all out in the price range you're looking for. What you like the most is the one you should get

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

You played it & liked it so I say go for it. Seems like a nice price to me. A buddy of mine has one, and he loves it. It sounds & plays great. The shots at HPL are often over the top if you ask me... I have a Little Martin that's a fine sounding travel guitar.

4. Lafayette2009

Lafayette2009 Member

If it is anything like my Martin D12X1 twelve string it should or will be a very guitar. Mine has the Mahogany Grained HPL (high pressure laminate) back and sides with a solid spruce top just like DX1. I have had mine for two years now and unfortunately have not played it as much as I wish, however I believe it is sounding better now then it did two years ago.

Lafayette2009