Martin HD28V neck question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Htloren, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Htloren

Htloren Member

Hi,

I currently own a Martin DR and am wanting to upgrade.

I have been reading about the new Martin HD28V.

Wanted to ask, is the new HD28V’s neck shape suppose to be close the prewar Martin necks? Like 1938 prewar D28? Were Prewar Martin necks V shaped? Also, are these V shape necks of the HD28V chunkier than the new HD28 necks? I prefer chunkier personally.

Is the V neck on the HD28V a soft V type?

Am looking into getting a new guitar next year. Will also check out the D35 and it’s HD35 and HD35V brothers ☺️

Thanks in advance!
    Loren

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Akwingnut

Akwingnut Supporting Member

There is no "new" HD-28V. The HD-28V has been around for quite a few years and escaped the new "reimagined" lineup changes. The HD-28 has been reimagined and gives you everything the HD-28V has plus the addition of the newer MLO PA neck.

I've always found the HD-28V neck to be the most comfortable of Martin's necks - a soft V. And - yes - much chunkier than the MLO PA neck of the new HD-28. But it is not chunky like a pre-war neck. A D-28 Marquis (discontinued) would get you a lot closer to that size, including the 1-3/4" neck.

3. Htloren

Htloren Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

I have been a Martin user for the last 18 years, playing the same guitar and it is only now I have actually started to learn more about acoustic guitars in general and Martin guitars specifically, learning their website layout and reading more info, learning what makes them different. What is Rosewood, Indian Rosewood, Sitka Spruce Top, mind blowing for me. Am really an electric guitar player.

When I was around 20-22 years old, I knew I wanted a Martin guitar but could only afford a DR at the time. But I did like the Satin look and the mellower tone. It’s utilitarian features. The fact it had no pickup. I had planned to put my own system. Am also an LR Baggs fan, I use the IMix. Back in the day, I was a full blown, travelling proffesional musician. So a DR, might have been the right guitar for all those gigs. An affordable guitar where I was never worried about dings here and there caused simply by taking the guitar out of the house. I am now retired from that life. Also, my tastes are changing. Am now kinda looking for my ideal Dreadnought tone. Am a Dreadnought lover and am going in the direction of the D28. But which D28 version?

Am in no rush. I have got until next March to decide.

I really appreciate the info as it literally makes me go and research to understand “what does that mean”. Pulls me into the right direction :)

Thanks again!

Loren

4. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

...last I knew there were 2 'V' necks offered from Martin's 'standard' model's, the soft V, and the Vintage V,...then there are another 2 available when speaking of their Pre-War, and 'Artist' models, there are a 'few', very few exceptions,...I happen to own one, a HD28-LSV...

...which is basically a FULL Dreadnaught version of a Clarence White model, these have a HUGE Vintage 'V' neck, and are a CS Model and a very rare model as well. Martin had Scheduled for 1219 of these to be made from '98-'05, and the last I heard they only produced South of 900 of them,...

...I own 2 acoustics that I'm pretty sure will never leave my hands, this LSV and my even rarer Guild D100-CRV, as I just love to play them both equally, my Wife bought me a even rarer yet (only 7 made) Martin CS 000-14f Morado model, while I love the sound/tone and the finish of it, the neck is one of the new low oval profile style, and I just have way to many issues (painful for me to play),...

...so she wants me to sell it and GET a guitar that I can play comfortably, and without pain...and while I have no problem anymore with 'Brand New' guitars, if I do buy another Martin...it's gonna' be a pre-'05 model, maybe a Clarence White D-18 model,...or?. Tom

5. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

The hd28v is a 1 11/16 v neck and is a great guitar. The new reimagined hd28 is all changed and has the new neck which is very comfortable and a great sound. It also changed the bracing forward shifting it which changes the tone. You can get the new hd28 with a Lr Baggs anthem in it but not th Hd28v. You can also get it in sunburst and amber tone.

I own an older hd28 and like it a lot but it has a low profile neck. You can easily find used Hd28v around. I’d play the reimagined one to see if thst is what you like. Might be hard to find a hd28v in a store to try. The necks on the new d28, hd28, D18, hd35 and d41 are all the same.