Martin Kit guitars

acoustic0804

I am curious if anyone knows what value these guitars have (if built well).

For example, a Martin D-28 kit guitar, modified to the herringbone edition. this one was built very well by an experienced guitar luthier. I know the kit guitars dont feature the Martin logo on the headstock, for many good reasons. how ever this one has the emblem added.

Any opinions or advice on the value of this guitar? thanks everyone

My opinion:

Martin kit built by a notable/known builder-equal in value to any other gtr from this builder.

Martin kit built by unknown builder/hobbyist, even if work is proficiently performed-not much more than materials, unless the buyer is somehow "motivated".

curtis

hard to say...depends on the luthier and the final result.

any pics? close up and detailed is good!

I've built a few of these kind of things, and they're good fun, but i wouldnt sell one really - they're just for friends and family- or sometimes purely for experiments and demo purposes.
surprisingly good tone from them though generally.

acoustic0804

the first picture has a glare on it. looks like it might be scratched, but its just the light. also ignore the dust on the headstock. she needs to be cleaned.

and fyi, i would never pass this off as a real d-28. Martin has a great reputation and i would absolutely never do anything to jeopardize that. if this would ever be sold, it would be a KIT D-28 Herringbone. just so we are all understood.

but yeah, let me know what you think guys

Every one of the Martin kit guitars I've seen were built by hillbilly dip***** who thought they had a real Martin, but they in fact had a kit guitar horribly made in a trailer. It very much depends on who put it together and I would never buy one without being able to closely inspect it and play it.

acoustic0804

Every one of the Martin kit guitars I've seen were built by hillbilly dip***** who thought they had a real Martin, but they in fact had a kit guitar horribly made in a trailer. It very much depends on who put it together and I would never buy one without being able to closely inspect it and play it.
how does this guitar compare to others youve seen? obviously just going off of looks..

ducatisteve

and fyi, i would never pass this off as a real d-28. Martin has a great reputation and i would absolutely never do anything to jeopardize that. if this would ever be sold, it would be a KIT D-28 Herringbone. just so we are all understood.
Haha, I'm very certain that you selling this guitar under any circumstance would have exactly zero impact on Martin's reputation, but I can certainly appreciate your honesty. In my opinion, it might be worth it just to hold on to the guitar right now. It's very easy to find really nice acoustics from brand names for around $1000 these days. So with the general inability of a buyer to examine your guitar before purchase, I would expect you to recoup the cost of the kit itself when selling the built instrument, but not much else. Even under the circumstances that the buyer is present to play the guitar, and assuming that it is an exemplary example, you'd still have to hope that their passion/excitement overcomes their savvy to get any more money out of them.

Beautiful instrument, though.

acoustic0804

Im not looking to sell the guitar. I was curious of its market value tho bc i havent come across many of these.

I have a Martin 000-28H also, so this guitar is my travel guitar. something im not afraid of taking with me wherever I go. but obviously still going to take good care of it.

acoustic0804

The one pictured looks a helluva lot better than any of the kit Martins I've come across.

That's def a good thing to hear. I know the one I have (the one pictured) had a lot of time and care put into it. I just never had the opportunity to see any others out there to compare to. So hearing that puts a bigger smile on my face.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
I built one of Martin's kits 11 years ago. I am very pleased the way it turned out. It looks good, is very playable and sounds great. But it is not a Martin. I expect that if I tried to sell it I might get about the current cost of materials ($400-500) out if it if I'm lucky. I've seen beautiful (at least in the pictures) amateur built guitars go on Ebay for a couple hundred dollars.

acoustic0804

its absolutely not a Martin. I agree. A large portion of the money people pay fr martins is for the craftsmanship (which in some ways is a little sickening). but nonetheless they make fine instruments.

my argument is when you have all the pieces Martin uses and built nearly exactly how their HD-28 model is built... and the kit is built WELL, how does it only hold the value of the materials or less. If materials are 500. then the smae materials put together well could NO WAY be worth the same.. or certainly not less. thats a rediculous idea. no offense to you.. just saying

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
its absolutely not a Martin. I agree. A large portion of the money people pay fr martins is for the craftsmanship (which in some ways is a little sickening). but nonetheless they make fine instruments.

my argument is when you have all the pieces Martin uses and built nearly exactly how their HD-28 model is built... and the kit is built WELL, how does it only hold the value of the materials or less. If materials are 500. then the smae materials put together well could NO WAY be worth the same.. or certainly not less. thats a rediculous idea. no offense to you.. just saying
Of course the whole could be worth less than the parts. Why else do you think there are eBayers that buy new instruments and part them out for a profit?

Looking at it another way, if you went to your local Ford dealer and purchased all the parts it took to build a car... put it all together, it runs and looks perfect, you will have spent far more for that than if you had just gone and bought a complete car. Bottom line, you don't build a kit Martin because it is financially smart, you do it for your own satisfaction.

acoustic0804

They do sell Kit Cars. When is te last time you saw a kit car sld for less than te parts purchased to make it? Never

I understand your reasoning. I really do. But to say that a pile of Martin parts is worth MORE than the parts all put together (and put together well) is absurd. There is no justification in your reasoning. But I can understand were you might think that way.

Regardless, im not selling this guitar. To me, it is exactly a Martin HD-28 minus the craftsmanship of Martins factory. But dang close to it. So say what you will, but to me this guitar will never be worth less than just the parts in a box to make a guitar.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
So say what you will, but to me this guitar will never be worth less than just the parts in a box to make a guitar.

The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it, or in your case the amount you will keep it for. Yours looks very nice, and could probably pass for the real thing.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but did you build it yourself? If so, you have a lot to be proud of. If you purchased it, congratulations on the find. In either case it's a very nice looking guitar that I'm sure you will enjoy for a long time.

Here are a couple shots of mine. Far from perfect but OK for a first try. She's a cannon. When I take her to jams she's amost always the loudest guitar there.

Last edited:

Trending Topics