Martin Questions

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Jhigley, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Jhigley

Jhigley Member

What are the differences between the D28 and HD28? Which one sounds the
    best? Also what are street prices of each?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. clarkram

clarkram Member

If you go to the Martin web site you can compare all the specs of the 2 models. Which sounds better? Only you can decide.

Price: Martin website has all the list prices. Minimum advertised price at most dealers will be 25% off list; however most dealers will take 35-40% off list for street price.

good luck

3. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

www.mguitar.com

they have a very detailed spec sheet for each model... if looking at a D-28 style guitar... check out the HD-28V... it is in the vintage series, street price around $2500 (a bit more than the HD-28 Standard). They have some construction and design features that make them feel more open and resonant. They are built to the prewar designs.

The best thing to do is play them all. Find the best one for you.

4. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

lol, to confuse you even more there's also the HD-28V which has vintage appointments incl a diff neck profile, vintage tuners.

the H denotes herringbone binding/inlay pattern especially on the back of the body. the HD also has a different bracing pattern I believe.

5. blueguitar

blueguitar Member

Main dif between D-28 and HD-28 is the scallop brace used on the HD-28. Top is much more live on the HD-28 with better bottom end without waiting 15 years. Tops seem a little more prone to splitting on the seam but if you manage your humidity and maintenance this is a better guitar for a few extra bucks. IMHO.

6. MATH YOU

MATH YOU Member

the hd28v is hard to beat. the v neck is outstanding and the difference in bracing is very noticable. the vintage series is a lot of bang for the buck

7. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

FYI,

I just obtained a D-28 Marquis... Awesome... for a new guitar to sound this good is amazing. The hd-28V was similar in its great feel for a new instrument...

Please check out these two guitars... with the bracing difference and the larger necks, they are really outstanding... for me, better than the standard line... that said, the standard d-28 is great too, just a bit different.

8. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

HD-28 has Herringbone, hence the HD. My friend has an HD28 and it is killer. :AOK

Take the list price on a Martin and multiply that by .6

That is what you should pay for it.

9. Jhigley

Jhigley Member

Thanks for all the help guys...it is much appreciated. :)

Jeff

10. Jhigley

Jhigley Member

I played an HD-28V and a regular D-28 yesterday... they didn't have an HD-28. The HD-28V was an easy winner (to me). I would like to try the regular HD-28.
    But right now the V is for me...:)

Jeff