Martin vs. Martin

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by StevenO, Feb 22, 2008.

1. StevenO

StevenO Member

I love the sound of the Roger McGuinn D-7 (not the HD-7) but it's just too much money for me now and I can't justify spending the cash on it either now or in the near future, especially with the 7th string.

So here's the deal. I love that sound and I would really like to have it in something a little bit less expensive and in a 6 string model, and I'd rather not buy used (no reason, really, just want something from the very beginning...silly, I know).

I was thinking about the Marting D-16RGT as it seems to have very similar specs (dealing with sound, not cosmetics). I like the specs on both. What does everyone think? Would these two guitars be similar, or comparable at all? Any other guitars which could be similar?

I haven't been able to track down a D-16RGT so I haven't been able to try one out but I am working on it.

Hope you all can help. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much, in advanced. :)!

- Steven

2. scott58

scott58 Member

Just like taste buds, there's just no skimping on the tone. You'll probably never be satisfied with anything but the RM D-7. When I find something I really like, I figure they can take a little bit out of my pay check for the rest of my life. You only live once and it's to damn short for me!

3. StevenO

StevenO Member

You're right. It's true. Perhaps I'm just in denial? Why oh why am I denying myself this guitar?

Anyways, thanks for the motivation but really, I'd like to find a guitar that is at least similar to this guitar in sound quality. I sort of prefer the feel of the D-16 series, but I don't mind the feel of the d-7 at all (probably the only "v"-shaped neck I've ever loved!). And I just can't justify buying that guitar only to take off the 7th string to use it as a 6 string. I feel as though I'd somehow not be using the guitar to it's full advantage. I love the 7th string but I just can't use it for everything I want to use it for. It makes everything I play sound like the Byrds (not that there is anything wrong with sounding like the byrds).

So if there is any model that sounds somewhat similar to this guitar, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks! :)

4. fender23

fender23 Member

No help here, thinking along the same lines as Scott58. I do know that Martin uses better grade tops on their sig models than their more standard models, so that has to make a difference over time as the wood pores open up. So even if the tops are of the same kind, they're most likely not going to be of the same grade - makes for a tough comparison at price point. I've had 3 martins over time and they surely make a nice sounding guitar IMHO.

5. StevenO

StevenO Member

Hmm, I see. Alright then. Well I'll try and find a D-16r to play so that I can see if that's the guitar for me.

If anyone one else reads this and wants to chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

6. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I'd suggest posting over on UMGF.com for more feedback. Personally, I think the 16 series is a great value, and the D16RGT's I've played have been pretty nice. They sound even better after opening up a bit in 2- 3 years. Why not try every Martin dread with rosewood back/sides you can get your hands on? A D28 or HD28 might be also be good options, but there can be tons to choose from depending on how much you want to spend.

7. StevenO

StevenO Member

I tried out both a 000-28 and an hd-28 as well as the d-16, the d-16gt, and a d-18, all of which sounded really, really nice but none of which had the same sound that the d-7 had. The d-7 had this really nice low end warmth that sort of resonated throughout your body with either a pick or fingers. It was great! Definitely something that I look for in an acoustic. I really like the sound (and price) of the D-16gt, just needed to be a bit more dynamic which I feel the rosewood would give me and it's only a hundred or so more. I also really like the satin finish neck, back and sides. I found the D-16gt was a bit more open sounding than the rest, perhaps due to the satin finish?

Anyways, I'm not dead-set on the D-7. It's a great sounding guitar but I'm just not in any position to be spending that amount of money on a guitar at this time. Perhaps in the future, though. :)

I'll try posting this at the other forum just to see what they say. Thanks!

8. rslowr

rslowr Member

I've owned a dc16rgt for a couple of years now. I shopped hard for it, though I couldn't reach for the D-7 (the 16 series was the reach for me). So I can't give you a comparison. But I can say the guitar has opened up beautifully. I love the resonance. I did make one mod, that was well worth it (and easy): I put on a bone saddle. It made a huge difference in articulation (I'm mainly a picker), but really just complements the wood tone. The neck is great too.