Marty Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Watched A Football Life about Marty Schottenheimer. Looking back at his career as a head coach what grade would you give him ? He had an exceptional record but his teams could never win the big games. Play off record was poor.

I still give him a A-.

I say he had a great career.

Does he belong in the Hall of Fame ?

Is he the Dan Marino of coaching ?

Yes to both.

2. newking70

newking70 Member

the cleveland losses must've been especially heart breaking.

3. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

No. Don Coryell is the Dan Marino of coaching. Coryell pretty much invented the modern game... The 77-81 Chargers were the most exciting offense in history.

4. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

Marty is my neighbor and regular golf partner and buddy. He's as nice and genuine and giving as anyone I've ever known. Just an absolutely great guy. Great coach too, and really really smart. He has had numerous chances to get back into football, but Marty is a big time family man and really loves spending time with family these days and getting the most out of that. Well, and playing golf. Good player with some sweet golf club memberships too.

5. Axe

Axe Silver Supporting Member

I wish Marty had taken the Bucs job a few yrs ago :(

6. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

If we take into account his escapades with women and his wild crew of Dale Carter and Derrick Thomas and all the strippers and crazy game decisions, (leaving inept Steve Bono in the COlt's playoff game when he had Rich Gannon sitting there, once Bono did get hurt and Gannon went in the game, Gannon made passes and scored, too bad it wasnt 45 minutes sooner)
    the entire Carl Peterson and Marty Shottenheimer money circus and choking in key games in Kansas City.
    Big entertainment

7. fish78

fish78 Member

Well, as a UGA guy, I hope his son Brian can bring the championships that eluded his dad. Brian is our new offensive coordinator. At the Spring game, I saw no great departure from our past offense...with one exception...tried to hit the long pass a bit more frequently...hope he does well.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Agreed. Though we haven't had a lot of just pure blow-past-everybody speed at WR the last few years - at least none with experience that can reliably catch the ball and haven't blown their ACL.

9. telecopter

telecopter Member

The Chargers should have never let him go.

10. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

You'll lose a game you shouldn't and Mizzou will win the East.

Again.

11. fish78

fish78 Member

We will see...always a distinct possibility. However, what I didn't say was in the Spring game our defense looked outstanding...I expect several shut outs or shut outs until it doesn't matter...yes, they looked that good.

12. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Best of luck. Let's just hope Spurrier pulls his usual "I'd rather be golfing" coaching job.

Chubb is a beast, that's for sure. Is Michel healthy this year? He's pretty bad ass too.

13. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Can't argue with that. I was just thinking in terms of a great performer who couldn't win the big one.

Coryell changed the game with Fouts and the passing focus. I was really hoping the Browns could have defeated Oakland and faced the Chargers in 1980 season. Fouts vs Sipe would have been fun. Sipe was league MVP that year.

14. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Pretty cool.

15. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

You gotta win the big games, so for that reason I can only give him a B.

16. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

17. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

I don't see Marty as a Hall of Fame head coach, but if there were a Hall of Really Good he'd be a first-ballot enshrinee. As was mentioned the Cleveland losses weren't on him, but they definitely contributed to the "tight" way he approached subsequent playoff games with the Chiefs and Chargers, and those losses were on him. Of coaches who never won a championship I'd rate him below George Allen, who's in the Hall, and Don Coryell, who should be IMO. Jeff Fisher too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  18. DrewH

DrewH Member

If I was a voter, Marty gets my vote. 200 wins. That is the only number that matters. He averaged 9.5 wins a season for 21 years. 2 losing seasons among those, folks!

There was no question about Marino in the hall. There will be no question about Peyton and his abysmal playoff record getting into the hall. Yet, we are quick to say that a 200 win coach who just happened to have a lot of bad luck (see Byner fumble) is not deserving? That is crap. Plenty of players get in on sustained excellence alone, who never sniffed a ring. Why is this different for coaches?

19. Route234

Route234 Member

Its not his fault Byner cant hold onto a football. I give him credit though, when he was in Washington he made sure that Snyder gave him full control of the football organization and then he fired Snyders buddy Vinny Cerato (GM) and cut Jeff George (guy who just signed a big contract who then said "Leadership is overrated") too, it was one of the more ballsy things Ive ever seen a guy do in any sport as a coach. Then the team won like 7 or 8 games in a row at some point and ended up 8-8 and Snyder fired him right afterwards anyways. He was a good coach. Its not like Cleveland, Washington or KC have really been any better since he left.

20. '56 Merc

'56 Merc Member

He was great, at losing to my Broncos. No matter what team he was coaching.