Mary Ford's Les Paul for sale

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by raymeedc, Jan 23, 2012.

1. raymeedc

raymeedc Member

Anybody see Pawn Shop on the History channel tonight? A close relative of Mary Ford brought in her '61 white Les Paul Custom, featured on many album covers & such, along with a slew of somewhat historically significant documents signed by Les. The pawn shop bought it for $90,000. I would have held onto it & put it up for auction myself. There's no telling what this would bring. Certainly a lot more than they paid for it, or they wouldn't have so readily done so.

2. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Saw it, was thinking the same...he must've needed the cash. I think it would bring much more than $90k.

I was flipping through that same Les Paul book they were showing on the show, and it does mention the guitar being owned by Les' nephew (the guy on the show), It also says that at some point, some of the pickups went missing, which must explain why there are no covers on it now. I'd like to hear more about that.

3. Fenderkid67

Fenderkid67 Member

that thing would and will bring lots more than 90000. its crazy!

4. artguy47

artguy47 Ol' CuRmUGeOn

the pawn shop sure scored at that price!

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Off hand how much could it go for? $200,000?

6. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Pawn shops usually only pay one third to one quarter of what they expect to sell it for.

7. Fenderkid67

Fenderkid67 Member

still, it was crazy the guy didnt take it to auction.

8. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

Pawn Stars has been proven to be a fraud when it comes to a lot of segments....

but White SG/Les Pauls are incredible and I'd love to own one.

9. BKL71

BKL71 Member

Since Les passed away, one has to wonder how long it will take before his personal guitars and amps start showing up on the market. If you've ever seen footage of his house, the guy had A TON of stuff, it almost looked like an episode of Hoarders but with guitars, amps, recording equipment and other gear piled around. The people controlling his estate are no doubt going to make a fortune.

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Just saw it. That guy didn't look convincing (that he was Mary's nephew)...would love to see a follow up to see how much it sold for. Pretty cool find.

11. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I always got a kick out of Rick, but that got me mad. He outright lied saying "It'll take me a few years to sell it"...HE KNEW, and he probably called someone 10 minutes after the taping and moved it.
    Pickup covers off...PAFs maybe gone, but that package, with the contracts and partial setlist on the back...were worth LOTS more.

First time I ever saw him bring in 2 experts for the same item.
    I love the kid's face. "WOW".

I lost a lot of respect for Rick on that deal. He has to make money, yes, but HE KNEW.

12. raymeedc

raymeedc Member

One was a handwriting expert, the other a guitar expert.

13. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Did anyone else laugh when the guy from cowtown played it through the red knob solid state Fender amp? Or think about how hilarious it would have been if he had snapped the neck joint trying to coax feedback out of it at the end of his noodling?

14. raymeedc

raymeedc Member

& most likely at least a few offers that have probably already come in from collectors who were watching..... there was a heads up on the Les Paul site about this show days before it aired.
    I have a feeling the nephew is going to be in for a stretch of depression when he sees how much this guitar goes for.

15. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

Saw the preview last week but missed it so I'm recoding it overnight and look forward to watching it tomorrow.

Mary Ford = MAJOR Gibson Guitar History!!!!!!!! :rockin

16. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

When Jesse said it was worth $150,000 and the guy took $90,000 I thought something was a little fishy.
    The Nephew started at $250,000 and dropped to 90K? That is stupid. Unless he was in some serious trouble with a lone shark and was about to lose his right hand or something, he should have walked. If that episode aired and he would have walked there would be collectors banging on his door in a second. Offering more than $100K!

17. raymeedc

raymeedc Member

Exactly..... couldn't have had a better showcasing, would only have had to lay back & let the offers roll in or hook up with a high end auction house.

18. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

It was staged.

Last time there was a guitar related sale (a '60 Custom or something...) the dudes on MyLesPaul Forum found out that the seller actually worked at a Vegas shop and the "expert" worked there as well and the whole thing was just a giant set-up for this Vegas guitar shop.

19. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Durnit. I thought the thread said Mark Ford's Les Paul for sale.

Edit: I should be nice.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  20. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

Yeah I've heard that the show and MOST/ALL reality TV is staged.

Is it at least Mary Fords Guitfiddle??? cause if it is then I could care less if it's staged - just appreciate being able to see the goods.