Mary Kay CS Strat as an investment.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Curt, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Curt

Curt Member

I'm "considering" picking up a new Mary Kay CS Strat for an investment only. They're going for about $4,500. Bad idea?

2. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking for investment purposes you'd probably be better off with a masterbuilt. As soon as that master builder stops making them they're gonna appreciate due to the limited amount. The cunetto's seem to be starting to climb. You're gonna have to find something that no one can get at some point to really make your investment work out IMO.

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

For that amount of money, you'd be better off just finding a Cunetto Mary Kaye . They are hitting $3K now and getting harder and harder to find. Cunetto's will always have historical significance, having started the whole relic concept.

With a new CS you might be waiting a long, long time. With a Masterbuilt, it depends on the builder and availability, as Thwap mentioned.

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Do you really intend this purchase as an investment, or simply a guitar that will lose its value less rapidly than most other guitars? A guitar is a rather poor performer, when considered as an investment. For any object to increase in value, over time, not only does it have to be somewhat rare, there must be a significant demand for that object, in spite of its rarity. Predicting the demand for that object is pretty tricky. Even if you could predict it, accurately, are you going to get a rate of return that will beat other, more conventional investments?

5. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

Just as an FYI - if you are referring to the Fender Limited run of Mary Kaye Strats from last year - they are in fact Masterbuilt.

-- Barr

6. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

+ 1

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

How do I identify a Cunetto Fender? Are all relics from a certain time period Cunettos? There's this '96 white blonde maple neck relic in a guitar store that I tried out, a wonderful guitar.. Should this be Cunetto? The relic job was maybe a bit overdone IMO..

8. johan

johan Member

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Ok, thanks! That's a really beautiful one! The one I saw was a bit heavier reliced.. But played like nothing I've tried before. It was King! :)

It's 2850 €:s.. Quite a steep price. Maybe if I hit the lottery I buy it.

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I'm not inclined to think of any new guitar as an investment.

A collectible?
    Perhaps.
    An investment?
    No.

And I absolutely wouldn't consider any guitar as an investment if the manufacturer can continue making that same exact model.

- First, there are very, very few new guitars that don't experience some depreciation as soon as they're purchased.
    - Second, historically it often some period of time (and that can be years) for the used price to bottom out, then for the guitar to be recognized for some character of collectibility, then begin a period of price appreciation. So if you're buying a new guitar, you better have a good crystal ball of the compelling reasons why that new guitar will not experiance the same kind of price movements that other new guitars usually take.

Even guitars that are labeled or perceived as limited editions are difficult to judge as there is nothing preventing the manufacturer from introducing other limited editions that may have even more desirable characteristics. So if you go to sell your USED guitar, you will be competing with new guitars from the manufacturer.

That being the case, it would seem better to try to find the guitars that have recently turned the corner of bottoming prices, and starting the climb back up in collectibility. Of guitars that already in the middle of a strong trend of rising prices.

And these are just guesses, but examples of guitars that may be starting their price climbs might be guitars like late 70's Fender Strats and Teles, and 1982-84 Fender Fullerton reissues. And guitars that may be in the middle of strong trends of rising prices may be 50's Les Paul Juniors and Specials (and note there are 50's Juniors that aren't getting bids at $4500 (this one has been listed several times with no bids):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=7389219868

Regardless of when that Junior sells, it was probably a $2200 guitar about 3-4 years ago, and will probably sell for $4500 in the not too distant future. I'm not inclined to believe that guitar will gain 50% or double to $9K very quickly. But I'm inclined to think that guitar will increase in price at a faster rate than a Fender limited edition Mary Kaye Strat.

If I were looking for guitars to invest in, I'd be trying to identify the guitars that had the same kind of fundamentals that 50's Jr's had 3-4 years ago, or just jump in the price trend of 50's Jr's today.

I think Cunettos are likely to increase in price, but I think the biggest imediment to their price increase are new Masterbuilt relics. And as I referenced above, as long as Fender has Master Builders, they will continue to crank out limited editions until the cows come home. As such, I don't think those guitars are investments unless you can identify a Master Builder who's reputation will grow long term, and you're buying one of his guitars at a significant depreciated used price.

For example, I think it's interesting that this 96 Cunetto Mary Kaye (COA, but non-OHSC) received no bids over 7 days starting at $2400:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Custom-Shop-Cunetto-Relic-Stratocaster-Mary-Kaye_W0QQitemZ7388913449

Either that was a good buy that every Cunetto buyer missed (not likely), or has some issues I'm missing, or it says something about the price trend of Cunetto's at this moment. Either way, I'd be more inclined to buy that 96 Mary Kaye Cunetto (at a moment of price softness) than a $4500 limited edition Mary Kaye. That's because I think it's would be easier for that guitar to move from $2400 to $3600 (a 50% return) than for a new Mary Kaye limited edition to move from $4500 to $6750.

All of that said, I'd be more inclined to buy that Cunetto relic Mary Kaye at $2400, play the crap out of it and enjoy it and never worry about whether the price will go up. And to me, that's one of the beauties of relics, as you'll never get penalized price-wise for playing/dinging a relic.
    :)

As I've said before, the folks that complain about relics not having honest wear will likely be the the same folks that will expect a discount if you've put honest wear on a new guitar you're trying to sell them.
    :D

11. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Unless you plan on waiting 30-40 years for a new guitar to be worth alot, a 70's Fender Strat or Tele is a much better investment right now, and a late 60's Fender an even better investment

If you are considering spending $4500 on an investment, I would think a late 60's Fender Strat would be the way to go...