Masotti X100M in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LordRiffenstein, Jun 14, 2006.

1. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

It has taken some time but the X100M has finally arrived at my place and thank god I am 'working' from home today :D It was dropped of about 30mins ago and I just did a brief test to see if it arrived save and sound.

First impressions are REALLY good, clean channel is very impressive and can do from silky bell-like Fender cleans to low crunch. Crunch channel is very versatile and has plenty of gain on tap. The lead channel reminds me a bit of a SLO100, smooth yet a nice sizzle to make it cut thru. The low end is big and tight on this amp but never to much unless you dime the depth control.

This one is a modded version as it has a switchable boost on the crunch channel as well as a 2nd master volume. All this is midi-switchable. Besides that you have the usual layout of clean with it´s own EQ and crunch/lead sharing EQ but having seperate gain and volume. There´s a brite switch for clean/crunch and in the back there´s presence and dept controls.

And doesn´t it look great!!

[​IMG]

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey Yoeri , enjoy! Is that the Italian amp from the guys who also make a preamp? Eric

3. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Yes, pre-amp and power amp and a LOT more stuff http://www.masottiamp.it/

4. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

5. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Yesterday I did a first rehearsal with the Masotti. Everything is midi-switchable, I discovered (and Masotti confirmed) that the brite is also programmable and works on the lead channel. I quickly setup some sounds at home, took me about 5mins. I had clean, crunch+brite, crunch+brite+boost, lead and the 3 last in combination with the 2nd master for lead-sounds.

The X100M has an active EQ so if you turn the controls to 0, theres no sound. First time I work with such an amp but it was a minor adjustment, it works great and you can easily dial in your sounds. I have depth around 11:00 and presence around 12:00-12:30, this gives a good balance between balls and bite :D

The clean channel needed a bit more time to dial in, thought it was maybe a touch to trebly with the brite on although it sounded great with the in-between settings on my Strat. The clean channel is very good, big low end, tight sounding works for funk or clean rhythm. The crunch channel is HUGE sounding, with or without the boost. It's very responsive on pickup selection, attack etc and it shows all the nuances (and your mistakes :( ) Crunch with boost is a fat rhythm tone. I noticed here how well the amp sits in the mix and how it cuts thru the mix even with a Hammond doing it's thing. The low end is tight and punchy, not overwhelming and not in the way of the bassplayer, it gives you that larger-than-life feel. Both crunch-sounds also react wonderfully on pedals, RC Booster, BB preamp, they sounded just great. Like I said before, the lead channel is probably SLO100-inspired but it does not have the almost exessive high mid of the Soldano. It steps up gainwise from the boosted crunch channel but retains clarity so again nuances are there, every pickup selection makes a big difference. You can dial it back to almost clean with the volume control of the guitar. Lead tones are fat and smooth but really cut thru.

First impressions of the X100M are very positive. With minor adjustements (I/O levels of the fx units), I was able to use the amp with my rack for great results. I had great sounds from those I dialed in the first 30mins and there's a LOT more great sounds available. :dude:dude:dude:dude

6. Notes

Notes Member

Let me the first one: Clips please. :)

7. cosmos

cosmos Member

8. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

They will follow soon!

9. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Yesterday evening, I had a small shootout between the X100M, Aiken Sabre, Brunetti XL R-Evo and a XTC 101B.

I probably have not dialed in the 101B to sound it´s best although we tried a lot of settings, if was not even close to the Sabre or the X100M. The Sabre is just a kickass Marshall-sounding amp, excellent tones. I even preferred the Brunetti over the XTC which is weird because I really liked this particular XTC when I played it last year. Still, the X100M continues to amaze. My friend who was testing with me and owns the Aiken/Brunetti, was also very impressed with the Masotti. It´s one of the tightest amps I have ever played and it has great articulation. I think the hype in Italy is justified on the sound alone and the build is superb. :dude:dude

10. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Where do you get one of these masotti's?

11. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

From Masotti

12. matte

matte Senior Member

how would you compare the gain channel to an uber, as regards low end focus and fast attack?

13. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Matte,

I have only played the Uber once and it was some years ago, from what I remember, I think the Uber has maybe a faster attack although the X100M is very tight. The low end on the Masotti is great, I usually do not like a lot of low end but with this amp, I'm dialing in a lot more then I normally would.

Yoeri