Massively successful bands you just don't 'get'.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Cheebatone, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I'm not talking about bands you actively dislike, I mean the ones you are totally ambivalent over, but whose popularity absolutely mystifies you.

For it's; Kiss.

I like Rock music, in most of its forms and from every era, from Ike's Rocket 88 to Monster by The Automatic, but the cabaret/pantomime Metal-by-numbers of Kiss, and their astonishingly long record (and high level) of success leaves me totally bewildered.

I'm glad so many people enjoy it, but I just don't get it.

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Radiohead

I like a few songs but I don't connect with most of thier stuff.

3. JPF

JPF Member

KISS was my immediate thought as well. They were obviously doing something right, but I didn't get it at the time, and still don't, but they sure seem to have gotten a lot of people to start playing guitar, so bully for them.

4. daphil

daphil Member

5. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

With all due respect, these kinds of threads very rarely lead to anything good.
    You might as well post, "Let's all moan and whine about how we don't like...<insert least favorite band here> because that's what's going to happen.

So good luck on this one, and let the bitch-fest begin....

:munch

6. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

Radiohead
    Wilco
    Opeth
    Coldplay - really don't get that one

I gave all of them a chance, but I just don't get it.

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

there's a lot of bands i dont really enjoy listening too that are very popular, but there isnt any reason for me to not understand their popularity.

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

The Rolling Stones
    Wilco
    Bruce Springsteen

9. GregoryL

GregoryL Member

Wilco is one of the best acts going today - Tweedy is a genius.

10. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

That's precisely why I said, "...not the bands you actively dislike".

If people want to ignore that and turn it into a bitch-fest, they'll only be showing themselves in a bad light. It'll be sad if that happens, but I've never nuked a thread before, so something constructive might come of it!

11. Solomon

Solomon Member

Kings X

I have tried, and continue to relisten every so often, but is not happening for me.

12. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

13. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

Kiss and Radiohead are two good examples. Another example for me would be Peter Frampton; Not like in Humble Pie, but Frampton Comes Alive and everthing after, I mean he is a talented guitar player but his songs -PASS!

14. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I don't really get this tendency to leap to the defense of one's favorite band. I obviously don't agree with someone who rips my favorite band, but since I didn't write the music, I don't take it personally.

You freaking moron. How can you say that? Kings X is GENIUS!!! Are you DEAF???!!! ;)

15. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

A genius is a person who successfully applies a previously unknown technique in the production of a work of art, science or calculation, or who masters and personalizes a known technique. A genius typically possesses great intelligence or remarkable abilities in a specific subject, or shows an exceptional natural capacity of intellect and/or ability, especially in the production of creative and original work, something that has never been seen or evaluated previously. Traits often associated with genius include strong individuality, imagination, uniqueness, and innovative drive.
    The term may be applied to someone who is considered gifted in many subjects or in one subject.
    Although the term "genius" is sometimes used to denote the possession of a superior talent in any field, e.g. a particular sport or statesmanship, it has traditionally been understood to denote an exceptional natural capacity of intellect and creative originality in areas of art, literature, philosophy, music, science and mathematics.

Really!

16. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I can appreciate the artistry of Radiohead, but I just find the music too damn depressing.

Kiss, on the other hand, was just a fun rock and roll band. Catchy, simple, 3 minute guitar based rock songs. I'm always down with that. (Makeup aside).

17. prsflame

prsflame Member

While I can respect the musicianship, as well as success that the following bands have achieved, the music is simply not to *my* personal taste. I'm certainly not out to slam any one, but I don't buy into the mentality that we all have to "like" everything:

1) Coldplay
    2) Radiohead
    3) Grateful Dead
    4) Phish
    5) Genesis/Phil Collins

18. guitgator

guitgator Member

some bands can't be viewed unless in the context of their heyday

KISS is certainly the poster child for this concept.....they were to the 70s what parachute pants and Members Only jackets were to the 80s.....virtually unexplainable just a decade later.

I really didn't "get" any of the 80's hair bands at the time because of the packaging and incestual sounding music. Today I actually appreciate some of the guitar work from a few of them.

I have to admit I have no clue as to the popularity of Hip Hop artists....but each generation has to have it's own music for the most part.

19. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

What's a popular song from King's X?

I don't know a thing about them...

20. loudboy

loudboy Member

I never got the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Kiedis is one of the worst singers ever to hit the Top 40, and despite the claiims of their fans, I don't find them even remotely "funky."

Prince is funky. James Brown is funky. RHCP, not so much...