Master list of all programmable bypass loopers (w/ or w/o midi)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnbegone, Sep 3, 2012.

1. johnbegone

johnbegone Member

I am searching for a new true bypass looper that allows me to use programmed presets to turn on different combinations of the loops so I can do everything with one footswitch and stop all my dancing. Ideally I'm also looking for one that can be controlled via midi in order to potentially rack my entire pedalboard some day and let the computer run all my switching for me.

I had to look all over to find this information although a few threads on here led to most of them. I figured - why not put them all in one place for someone else to find later on. Here is the list as I've found them, feel free to add on if you know more. So far I haven't found the perfect thing yet (well, other than the Musicomlab but I don't have the budget for that yet), so I'm all ears as well.

Alphabetical order:

Buzz Electronics - 5 OR 8 loops versions available - no midi - eBay only?
    Carl Martin Combinator - 8 loops - no midi - link
    Carl Martin Octa-Switch mkII - 8 loops - no midi - link
    Cusack Pedal Tamer 6 OR 9 loop versions available - no midi - link
    Disaster Area Amps - saw him post about an upcoming pedal, probably with 6 loops and midi out - unavailable as of now
    Flex Reaction Compound 44 - 4 loops - no midi - link
    The GigRig Midi-8 - 6 loops - midi OUT - link
    The GigRig Midi-14 - 10 loops - midi OUT - link
    G-Lab GSC-2 - 6 loops - midi OUT - link
    G-Lab GSC-3 - 6 loops - midi OUT - link
    G-Lab GSC-5 - 18 loops (?!) - midi IN/OUT - link
    Moen GEC-9 - 6+9 loops (9) + mute - no midi - link
    Musicom Lab efx MKIII+ - 8 loops - midi IN/OUT - link
    Noah's Ark PTBS-1 - 5 loops+tuner - no midi - link
    One Control OC-10 Crocodile Tail Loop - 10 loops midi IN/OUT - link
    PEAK Double Effect Switcher - 2 loops+tuner - no midi - link
    Rivera Routemeister RM-1 - 4 loops - midi OUT - link
    Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8 Floor - 8 loops - midi IN/THRU (no out) - link
    TKI Lazeman Loopholic - can't find any current websites, but there are used ones floating around the forums
    Wave-X PXL4 - 4 loops - no midi - link
    Wave-X PXL8 - 8 loops - no midi - link
    WOBO Proglooper - 4 loops - no midi - link
    Vitoos VLP-8 - 8 loops - no midi - link
    Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher - 4 loops - midi in - ONLY can use presets with external controller - link

After doing this exercise it feels like I could probably get a lot more in depth and create a table that has all the attributes, because while I'm looking for something relatively simple with some added midi capability - most of these have extra features that expand upon what I've detailed here. A lot of them have amp switching capabilities, multiple outputs, separate inputs for passive/active devices, buffered outputs, etc.

Either way, let's get a discussion going!

As of right now I'm leaning towards the Rocktron just because it's relatively inexpensive and having the midi IN will allow me to control my pedals via computer later on when I'm ready to take that step.

Of course, outside of these there are tons of possibilities with rackmount units and external midi controllers, but I wanted this to be a list of floor units that could be used as a standalone.

Hope this helps someone like me later on!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    johann, ccouch7 and JimGtr like this.
  2. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Good idea to have a thread like this. Some others are the Moen Gec9 and Wave-X PXL8. Both non-midi though.

3. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

There are also programmable Jack Deville loopers on the way.

4. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

There's also RJM, Switchblade, and of course Bradshaw...

5. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Wow, that Flex Reaction stuff looks pretty cool!

6. johnbegone

johnbegone Member

Thanks for all the info guys, I added to the list. Note to Tom: I don't think RJM, SoundSculpture, or CAE have any floor bypass loopers that you can use on their own. They all have the rackmount units that you need a separate controller which is not what I want. Thanks though.

7. embrionic

embrionic Supporting Member

8. The Funk

The Funk Member

What I want is something like the Voodoo labs pedal switcher that responds to program changes. I was thinking about picking up an old Boss ME-5, and I realized that I could replace a few of my pedals with that, and with a 4 loop switcher like the voodoo lab that can accept midi program changes, I could use that as an extention of the ME-5 for the pedals i wouldn't want to replace with it. It would sort of be in permanent manual mode where you could always switch things in on the fly, but if you changed patches to a patch with a certain configuration of loops, you would get that too.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to exist.

9. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accepts MIDI program change messages and will switch all 5 loops in any combo. 15 presets accessible by foot, 127 with another MIDI controller. Tuner out with main output mute.

Here.

10. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Im prob wrong, but.......are u saying it can do loop 1 into loop 5, or loop 5 into loop 1? is that what your saying?

11. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

The order is fixed.

Code:
    Input -> 1 -> 2 -> 3  -> 4  -> 5 -> Main Out
        |-> Tuner Out

You can turn on or off any loop via MIDI, either as a preset (MIDI Program Change) or individually (MIDI Continuous Controller.)

12. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

Check out Payne labs. They make the k-switch. 4 loops and 4 function switches. Great product, and even better customer service!

13. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

I'm looking for a compact programmable 4-ch looper/switcher to control my comp/dirt pedals.

The Buzz unit, Flex Reaction Compound 44 and Wave-X PXL4 seem to fit the bill.

Does anyone have any personal experience with any of these? Any issues with pops when changing presets?

14. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

15. jkokura

jkokura Member

There is one coming in the near future from JMK Pedals. 8 loops, 8 presets, instant access mode, midi out and in.

www.jmkpedals.com

Jacob

16. pima1234

pima1234 Member

The Switchblade looks the most promising. Uses any number of MIDI controllers for all the flexibility they have to offer (though I have zero MIDI experience). They have one with up to 16 loops and it's easy to use in stereo (using two loops, one named __L and another __R). If you plan to have multiple stereo effects on your board, this seems to be the one. So, I imagine if you have a Timeline, Mobius, etc. on your board and want to run in stereo, the Switchblade is it.

The Cusack ones look great and you can have them modded for stereo use.

17. sullysnet

sullysnet Member

which one is the Switchblade? I love the Cusack one but it doesn't have midi and I wish it had 7 switches and banks instead of 9 switches and being so long. You figure if you get the 9 model and then put a Wah on the end. That is a pretty big board for these smaller clubs.

thanks