Master volume after sub volume/tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PitchShifter, Mar 11, 2008.

1. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

Is this possible?

I have 2 pickups in a circuit. I want to connect them to a Blend Pot, then a tone pot. I then want to send the circuit through a Master volume where they meet up with a second circuit with the 3rd pickup.

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Will the 3rd pickup have a volume of it's own? One way to wire is output of blend control to wiper of master pot for the 2 pickups. This will isolate the 2 pickup circuit from the 3rd pickup. If the third pickup has a volume pot and there's no toggle switch then you would also use the wiper as the input. Wiring a pot backwards like this does add noise to the circuit when you first start to turn the volume down. This is similar to a fender jazz bass with 2 pickups and no toggle, wiring the pot backwards allows 2 volume controls and no switch. Hope this is what you meant.

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

If you put the master volume as the last control between the rest of the circuit and the output jack, it's completely do-able.

--chiba

4. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

it's actually a 3 pickup Jazzmaster with the lead circuit converted to control a 3rd middle pickup with it's own volume and tone.

So the Master volume would take the mix from both circuits and just increase or decrease the overall volume to suit the need.

From what you say, there is nothing inherently bad about having volume last? It's just every schematic I've seen has volume into Tone, into jack.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think it would work fine. Just hook it up and see how it sounds. That's always the best way to find out.

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

A really good schematic would show 2 leads coming off the volume pot - 1 to the tone pot & 1 to the jack (imagine a 1 pickup, 1 tone, 1 vol circuit).

Anyway - yes, it's perfectly fine to have the volume pot as the last thing in thehe circuit before the jack. I've had plenty of guitars with NO tone pot - only volume!

--chiba

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Boy, I totally misunderstood what you were asking for, sorry. :jo

8. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

Ah yes, I have seen that. It's as if the tone pot is sitting off to the side of the circuit. I never understood how that worked. I assume it goes out to the tone pot, then returns via the same wire?

Thanks for the Info.

Rosewood - I think it was a lack of clarity in my original explanation that was the problem!