• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Master Volume Matchless

eSS eSS

Hello everyone. I'm a New Poster here. I recently Fired up My Matchless DC/30 for the first time (after about 3 Yearsof getting it!) Does anyone know a way to BALANCE the channel volumes? The "Clean" Channel (Channel 1) is either ussually to quiet or has to be set high enough that it is distorting! Mark Sampson may be the Man, but what is with the common master? The Distortion can be set SO similar I don't really think there would be much point in it being there for "Two Flavours Of Distortion" as some have said. Any Help would be appreciated.

DavidH

It's not a channel switching amp with a clean and a dirty channel (unless i just walked into some kind of twilight zone), it doesn't have a clean channel per se. Yes, two different pre-amp flavours in one amp, much like a vox, funnily enough.

eSS eSS

Gotcha! thanks for the Quick Reply. There IS a Master on the amp as to get nice "Clean" Break-ups and High-Gain at Low Volumes. I CAN get some LOUD Clean Tones with it switched out. Is there now way to have this without having to reach back and "Grab" The Master?!? Thanks again!

DavidH

On this kind of amp you should be able to go between clean, breakup and dirty on a single channel, without touching the amp, just by working the guitar and using a boost pedal.

Setup a broken clean sound with guitar volume on 10, roll off to 9 for cleans, or kick in a boost (or just switch to bridge pick up and pick a bit harder) for dirt. Once you set the amp you should be able to work all that from the guitar. Kicking in a compressor can help give a little more headroom for cleans too.

I've never played one of these, but assuming the EF86 channel has less headroom, you could switch over to that for further amounts of gain.

On a channel switching amp (which it sounds like where you're coming from), the power section of the amp still has headroom and is totally clean (in order to have cleans at the same volume as the dirt) and when you switch over to the dirt channel, it's all pre-amp distortion. You can't do that with this one, with the master disengaged you're probably going to get a similar amount of headroom from each channel. The master is more of an add on feature, to lower the volume, and to give the versatility of balancing your pre-amp and power amp distortion, and not a way of going from an extreme clean to pre-amp distortion at the same volume like on a channel switching amp.

On a vintage style amp like this you more or less just set the amp and then work things from the guitar, and pedals if you're using them, you can still get a good range of clean to dirty, it's just a different (and to many of us prefered) way of going about it.

Here, you can see how to get different ranges of grit just with picking dynamics , add to that switching pickups, twiddling the knobs on the guitar and kicking pedals in and out and you have all the range you need http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY85SGQMt1Y&feature=related
He switches from the 12ax7 channel to the EF86 channel and you can hear it's not a huge difference in headroom, but it could be enough with the amp on the verge of breakup, you can still pick clean(ish) chords with the tones on this vid.

Edit; it sounds even better with the Firebird http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDVxR3iqjg&feature=related . I would forget about big pristine cleans and enjoy the amp for what it is, a kick-ass rock&roll machine. The chimey broken cleans this amp does sound way better anyway.

Last edited:

sickboy79

It's not a channel switching amp with a clean and a dirty channel (unless i just walked into some kind of twilight zone), it doesn't have a clean channel per se. Yes, two different pre-amp flavours in one amp, much like a vox, funnily enough.
Agree - you can switch with it using an A/B box (although I've never done it).

I've always found the EF86 channel a little louder. Probably due to that nature of that tube. Not night and day louder - but, noticable. But, that might be a good thing if you want to use that channel for leads.

As far as the "clean" channel goes - I'm surprised to hear you have to set it that high for overdrive. Mine usually begins to breakup around 11 oclock on the volume (not engaging the master). If I use the master for lower volume stuff - it will break up at noon-ish on the volume.

Hope that helps a little. David has some great suggestions on using amps like this. That's how I usually use mine - LOTS of tones available with just your volume control on your guitar!

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Agree - you can switch with it using an A/B box (although I've never done it).
I've done it with a DC-30 and a Phoenix. The best you can do to balance the channel volumes is use the high input on channel 1 and the low input on channel 2 with your ABY box. This will balance them "better", but you're still not gonna get a "clean" channel and a "crunch" channel out of it - it's more like two different flavors of clean, or two different flavors of dirt. I ran them both clean-ish and used a pedal to dirty up either channel. To me, it was like having a 4 channel amp.

Stormin!

eSS eSS

Thanks a lot everyone! I'm still trying to figure it out. I actually know a bit more about amps than I might let on; I am just a bit concerned about this Amp and it's ability to get a great clean sound AND a Distorted one! Let mw know. Thanks again!

mkoetter

I had an A/B switch and put an OCD in line with the ef86 channel. Then I could channel switch from totally clean to overdrive. The OCD sounded great with that amp.

eSS eSS

It didn't overpower the dirt signal? I really like that channel's distorted tone so I want to keep it as unnaltered as possible. (As a bit of an aside, I decided to finally plug in My Fuchs and it's Clean channel, though the Matchless is Quite Close to it, is just so much easier to access.) What do you think? Thanks again for the reply!

Trending Topics