master volume twin

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by gbdweller, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Anybody know what chassis # my 100watt master volume twin is? It's the one with the bias balance pot underneath and the hum balance pot on the back. I'd like to have a go at a conversion if this chassis will allow it. The amp needs a cap job and once over anyway. It should test my electronics skills and give me something to do this fall. Thanks,

Jim

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Does it say 135 Watts on the back?

AL

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

4. AL30

AL30 Member

doctorx, the reason I asked about the ultralinear was this statement

That has me wondering.

Quad Reverb huh? :BOUNCE

I've got a '72 Quad that I blackfaced as well. I can level small villages. LOUD !!! I love that thing. Can't wait to read your page.

AL

5. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Nope. 100 watts. I'll try and post a picture of the chassis later tonite.

6. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Nice. That's the idea I have for my twin. I found mine in the garbage on junk day while on the way to my friends wedding about 19 yrs ago. We grabbed it and threw it in the trunk. When I got it home and turned it on, nothing. Turned out to be a missing fuse holder and fuse! It definitely has some issues now though and I would love to convert it and change out the speakers.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

Yah, when they run out of ideas in Iraq I'm going over there and mount my Quad on an M1 tank. A few bars from "Cat Scratch Fever" will send those ****ers running into the hills.:D

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Have a look at my Quad page, that process is what you want to do. Get yourself a schematic and layout for the AB763 Twin Reverb and have at it. Something you might want to think about is rewiring it so you get reverb and trem on both channels, it's easy. Also something I did on my Bandmaster and intend to do to my Quad is make the tremolo switchable out of the signal path. You get a noticible bump in gain, it's cool. Look around on my web page, it's all there.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

Mine has the bias balance and hum balance pot too. I Blackfaced the bias section and made it adjustable fixed bias. Some guys don't like the hum balance pot but I left it as is.

Good luck,

Regis

10. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Thanks, I'll check it out. Should keep me busy this fall. I'll take pics and post when done.