Mastering CDs...Gateway?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by granite, Jun 26, 2006.

1. granite

granite Member

So, I'm getting ready to master my CD and got a quote from Gateway Mastering in Portland, ME. Needless to say, it's expensive for an Indie musician like myself compared to other places like Disc Makers.

Is Gateway so much better that I should pay the premium for their service? Can anyone comment on Gateway's services. I know they (Bob Ludwig) are the creme of the crop, but what do they do that others can't?

2. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I wonder the same thing,in a week my bands cd is getting mastered at diskmakers..them seem like a popular choice ..but are they a goodchoice??

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

There was a thread recently on the Gearslutz.com recording forum about a CD that was mastered at Disc Makers. After the comments on that thread, I would be very, very wary of using their mastering services.

I did use Disc Makers for my duplication and was impressed with their quality and speed.

Bryan

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I wouldn't send to any mastering engineer that you can't have some sort of consultation with. You need to specify what you're looking for in the master, and not just 'leave it up to them'. Best way to find the 'right one'? Go to the AllMusicGuide, allmusicguide.com, and look up a list of your favorite albums. Check out who mastered them. If you're familiar with a favorite producer, often times they'll send to the same lab for master. Write down these mastering engineers, and see if they're still in business...

make sure to look up albums in the same genre of music as your own group...There are a good handful of great mastering engineers out there, and usually each one has their 'specialty'.

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

they have been doing 5.1, hdcd, dvd-a, sacd longer than many, but that may not be a need for you.

i'd go ask on gearslutz (I got free estimates from folks there), stevehoffman.tv, tapeop.com, etc.

fine someone who likes your type of music.