Mastering: creating redcd-r and metadata?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wescattle, Mar 2, 2012.

1. wescattle

wescattle Member

Decided to master my own EP, on my little protools rig. It was recorded professionally at another studio. So far its sounding super solid, im running it through a couple peices of outboard gear and using ozone. First off, I have no real point of refrence if my master sounds good, compared to if i sent it out. Not sure if doing the masters on my own is a good idea. Also, i need some guidance as to what i need to do before I send it out to get pressed. Ive done some reading and it seems like a standard cd-r burn wont work. Hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks

P.s. looked at gearlutz, and i just got very discouraged, and overwhelmed by the people over there...

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Look at a program like Sony's CD Architect, which may be included in Soundforge 10.

3. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Personally, there's no way I would take a professionally recorded and mixed CD and master it myself (if I were someone else). That really doesn't make sense if you're altering the material in any way, unless your monitoring is a step above where it was mixed and you have experience in mastering. Having said that, you're free to do whatever you like--it's your record. :)

Cd-r will work fine as a (pre) master, and you can probably burn it in Nero or any other consumer level program and input your metadata, although CD architect is a "pro" application and works really well (haven't used it in years, but I assume that's still true).

Having said that, it's still not that simple. There can be offsets involved which are frames inserted so that older players won't truncate the beginnings of the tracks, and then there's the possibility of errors on the disc that is sent to the replicator. Usually things go okay, until they don't.

Hope that's helpful--can try and answer specifics if you've got questions.