Mastery Bridge on a Gibson

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 74vibrolux, Mar 26, 2015.

1. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Supporting Member

I have a 335 and a 330 and their stock bridges have the usual flaws. I was wondering if it's possible to drop a Master Bridge on them. They're obviously well designed pieces that help with tuning stability, keeping strings in line, etc.

Didn't know if this was something that would fit on a Gibson.

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I think you'd be better off using a Faber or perhaps Callaham TOM type bridge on both guitars. I don't know the actual spacing specs for the Mastery bridges, but they're made for Offsets and Ricks. The studs are way different, I think you're looking at a pretty big mod to the guitar to use a Mastery product.

Everybody likes the Faber TOM, and Pigtail also makes an excellent one. Both are drop in replacements for a TOM. Way easier, probably much better too.

My two cents, thanks, Dana O.

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

What are the "usual flaws" on an ABR-1?

Not trolling....I'm quite serious: what flaws exist?

Sure, they can collapse after 40+ years & need replacement....but "flaws"? I'm stumped.

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Mark - I don't know what issues the OP has with his, but the QC on TOM bridges at Gibby leaves quite a lot to be desired IMHO, especially in the area of tolerances.

I worked on a Westwood spec R8 - two of the saddles has such mishaped 'rails' that neither rested flat on the bridge frame - which made them buzz like crazy, and not as loud as the other strings. I was able to get 'em out and replace just those two saddles. I've seen a lot of that in the past 20 years on Gibbys. Just inconsistent from string to string.

I like the Faber - it's very well made and has close tolerances. I like the Callaham too, but it's Steel and sounds a little different than the stock one.

Thanks, Dana

5. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

I think it was around 2008, 2009... I started to see Schaller TOM's being replaced with Asian made look alike TOM's at GCS. They are pre slotted and poorly fitted.
    An actual Schaller made TOM is a nice piece of hardware...

6. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

If you wanted to use a mastery bridge you'd have to drill for Jazzmaster style thimble posts. It's a great idea if you are using a Bigsby and would love it when finished just for fun- I really like the Mastery bridges. If you don't need it for a Bigsby then I'd go with a Faber.

7. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Member

Digging up an old post to find out if anyone has done this. I think it would be a big improvement on my hollowbody w/ bigsby

8. kimock

kimock Member

I wouldn't bet on the Mastery being a big improvement.
    They're ok, not the most adjustable or best sounding piece of hardware ever made, so there should be plenty of other options.
    If it's the only thing you're looking at, look around.

It's also possible it'll bullseye your sweet-spot, I just wouldn't bet on it.

9. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Member

I need it for the same reason people want them for jazzmasters. The guitar has a low break angle which allows the strings to jump out of the saddle. The mastery saddle grooves are so deep there's no way they'll jump out.

The problem is tuneOmatics have a 2 29/32" post spacing. Whereas jazzmasters have a 2 7/8" post spacing. So the holes in the mastery are too close by 1/32 of a inch. It wouldn't take much work with a file to open those holes up enough to drop into place.

But here's the rub, Mastery won't sell a separate replacement baseplate if I screw it up. That's a pretty expensive science experiment.

10. kimock

kimock Member

What guitar is this for exactly?
    Gibson retrofitted with Bigsby, so stop-tail inserts open?
    Possible options there.

I was just down in Fayetteville, nice. .

11. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Member

It is on my King Doublebass guitar. Which has a pretty standard tuneOmatic style bridge.

12. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Member

13. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

:beer
    looks good man.

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

nice!

i guess the other direction to pursue would have been replacing that bigsby with one like the B7 that had the hold-down bar, that would have solved the problem completely, just at the risk of tuning issues if it created too steep an angle over the stock bridge (and the issue of requiring a couple new holes in the top). the increased angle would have given you more sustain and a tighter, more "stop bar" feel too.

15. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Member

I don't like the B7 (or B5 or other dual bar Bigsby). It does not have the soft feel and response of the B6.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017