Mastery Bridge - proper string clearance over bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DaveNJ, Apr 7, 2015.

1. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

Hey all,

I've got a mastery bridge on my johnny marr jag and I was wondering what the proper clearance should be as the string passes over the saddle and over the lip of the front of the bridge? Is there a bare minimum to avoid buzz?

2. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

This is the area in question (if it weren't clear):

[​IMG]

3. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

From a kinematic perspective, it doesn't matter - as long as you don't have buzzing, everything's OK. The function of the bridge, in terms of the pivoting (leverage, etc.) is the same whether the bridge itself is raised, or if the bridge is relatively low and the saddles are raised. On a standard bridge, raising the saddles can cause the intonation screws to contact the strings, but that's not an issue with your bridge.

So I think the answer probably is, set it up so it feels good and doesn't buzz, and call it good.

BTW, how do you like the bridge?

4. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

I like it - with the Mastery and their thimbles (a must, IMO) there is no bridge movement at all. Much more solid, and the string spacing on the neck is where it needs to (again, IMO - the JM Jag's standard bridge has the E's very close to the ends of the fretboard)...

5. S1Player

S1Player Member

I'd get a staytrem bridge. The Mastery is nice - but the staytrem is better.

6. kidmo

kidmo Member

Can you adjust the bridge up or down or does all that happen with just the saddles? Seems if the strings are close to the lip, then lower the bridge and raise the saddles.

7. Tritone

Tritone Member

Could to elaborate on that? I have a Mastery but I'm thinking of switching to the Staytrem. I can't decide between rocking or fixed bridge, though, and I'm wondering if changing the bridge will have any affect on the timbre of the guitar.