Matamp Roadster guts pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Natron, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Natron

Natron Member

Just for fun, I decided to snap some shots of my Matamp Roadster as long as I had it apart already to rebias the new power tubes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes the output transformer is cockeyed and the front panel is cracked thanks to the gentle box-handling employees at UPS. And here it is back together:

[​IMG]

The Roadster was kind of a higher-gain version of the GTL. 120W EL34 based one-channel amp. Well.... that's all.

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I'm so jealous.....:dude

So...how does it sound?

3. Natron

Natron Member

Sounds great.. very Matamp-ish. They have that unique mid-range fuzz with deeply extending bass. Loose playing response. Very very good if it's what you're looking for. For what it's worth, I do know the Electric Wizard album "Let Us Prey" was recorded using a Matamp Roadster for the guitars.

Here, you can check out a song here

That is pretty much 100% what it sounds like.

So... Central WI huh? I just moved away from there a year and a half ago after 27 years. I lived in Marshfield. You?

4. Sol

Sol Member

Do Matamp still make the Roadster? I ask because I had my heart set on a certain model they had out, and by the time I had the pennies they had discontinued it, (bummer).

A higher gain GTL sounds fantastic, what kind of clean headroom can you get from it before it starts to overdrive?

5. Natron

Natron Member

Nah the Roadster is a long gone model. From what I heard, only 21 ever even made it to the USA and most of those were the combo version, not the head. Pretty tough to find. This particular one was picked up by Aaron of Giant Squid and then traded in for an old Orange OR80 combo amp. The one used to record the Electric Wizard album mentioned above sold on Ebay a couple weeks ago. Those are the only two I've ever seen.

It starts breaking up really fast. You CAN get good cleans out of it by cranking the master volume and keeping the pre-gain and drive knobs low. I never tried to see how loud I could get cleans out of it out of respect for my neighbors, though. It'll push lots of air for sure, though. It was made for foggy, fuzzy, stony overdrive though.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I have a Minimat...that I love.:dude

I do know Electric Wizard.....again....:dude

I've always wondered how they got that sounds....I just assumed it was cranked SUNNs with fuzz pedals.....Sounds great though......have you ever cranked yours?

Really? Why'd you move?
    I actually live in Wausau!

7. Natron

Natron Member

I have cranked it.. It's a room shaker. The low-mids and bass on the thing are really strong. Electric Wizard may have used other amps on their other albums.. I just know they used the Roadster on that one album specifically.

Huh... I've spent countless time in Wausau. For a while, I drove through there constantly since the last band I was in was up near Antigo out in the country. Fun times. For a while, I had a girlfriend out here in Philadelphia who would visit WI and she called Wausau "fake Canada" since it reminded her of there. But anyway, I moved because Marshfield and the surrounding area is dead.. It was so boring and confining for someone my age (now 28) that I just needed to get out. I knew people in Philly and was familiar with the area so I chose here. So far, so good.

I used to go to this place in Wausau all the time called Uncle Oscar's to buy clothes/furniture/whatever. I wonder if they're still around...

8. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Nice....Lucky fella.

9. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Are you using a standard 4x12 cab?

This area is dead.:worried I'm playing in a crappy cover band right now....because there's nothing better. I actually grew up in Stevens Point.:AOK

It's gone......it was a cool place though.

10. Natron

Natron Member

It's gone?! This is the worst news ever! The couple who ran that place were so cool!

Argh... but my brother lives in Stevens Point right now. Bought a house there, filled it with furniture and decorations and whatnot and then realized he hates it there and wants to leave. I had a girlfriend over there near the Stevens Point Co-op on 2nd St. Loved that place.. only place I could find Rogue Dead Guy Ale in the area. And bought half the CDs I own from Radio KAOS. Shoot.. this is making me want to visit WI again.

I'm playing through a Marshall 1960BV (4x12, Vintage 30s) and a Genz Benz 2x12. The Matamp sounds good through either, depending on what you're going for, unlike my Mesa/Boogie Mark III that hates my Genz Benz cab and only really works well with the Marshall cab. The Genz Benz is definitely darker and has more bass response.

And I leave you with a picture I took shortly before I left Wisconsin in Stevens Point along the path by the river (near the bridge) as the sun went down..

[​IMG]

11. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I wonder how the Roadster differs sound-wise from a Classic 120? I played one of those for about 7 years and loved it. I only stopped because I needed a channel switcher. It looks like the only difference is the "Pre-Gain" knob on the Roadster, so it can probably get more gain at lower volume. Cool amp! It makes me miss mine!

BTW, Electric Wizard used Sound City amps up until Let us Prey.

12. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Her is another of a doscountinued line of Matamp amps the LX, higher gain version of the Classic 120 with dual masters.
    [​IMG]

13. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

Whats with the tube on the underside of the chassis?