Matching/Pairing Alnico and Ceramic speakers- What ceramic won't overpower an Alnico?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Feb 18, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a Weber 30 watt Alnico Silver Bell and like the tone of it but want to maybe pair it with a ceramic speaker to get more headroom and a fuller sound. I've tried a Vintage 30 and in that config...all you hear is the V30. Would a Greenback pair better (due to the lighter magnet)? I was actually thinking of throwing in a Warehouse Speaker Green Beret (Are those OK?).

What would you pair an Alnico Speaker with in a '59 Reissue Bassman combo?

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

A greenback might just do it for you. Not overpoweringly loud, has a nice warm sound too. My favorite lower volume ceramics are vintage C12PS (or C12P) -- smaller magnet ceramics that came stock in Gretsch amps and many others back in the 60s. Great sounding speakers. Most of the newer ceramics I've tried are more efficient than that.

4. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

I have an Alnico 50 watt Silver Bell matched with a G12H in my ZBest cab. PERFECT match! The Silver Bell is warmer, with more midrange which will always seem louder, even though it's a less sensitive speaker compared to the G12H. They sound perfect together. Almost hi-fi with plenty of harmonic swirl. This combo does it all for me, from clean to mean. FYI-The Silver Bell didn't pair up with the Vintage 30 at all. Try out the G12H for a really balanced tone. If you want something creamier, try an alnico Blue Dog.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I know that the Celestion Alnico Gold and Blue are both 100db efficiency and the Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary and G12H Heritage 30 watt both have 100db effiiciency too.

TheGrooveking

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Is your G12H a 55 or 75Hz model? Thanks

7. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Not sure-whatever the Zbest came stock with.