matching pickup sets or not?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pickleweed, Feb 6, 2012.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

Looking to see the general opinions on this - do you guys like having matching pickups sets in the neck and bridge, or do you guys prefer different pups for each?

ive always thought it better to have different pups for each, simply for flexibility. im looking at new pups, and have been thinking about it lately :)

what say you

2. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

Matching does not mean the same. Most boutique builders can be contacted to create your own perfect match to your own needs. Personally i've found bare knuckle very accommodating to my requests; but i know others companies can be as flexible.

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I usually go with non-matching pups for a bit more versatility.

4. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

What do you mean by "matching"? Do you mean identical pickups for both positions or do you mean pickups calibrated for each position?

I would definitely go for calibrated, i.e. I like a stronger bridge pickup and a clearer neck pickup. They may be from the same person/factory or from different persons/factories.

5. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

yes, i mean matching calibrated for each position. so for example, in my case i really like the wcr godwoods. do i get a godwood set, with a godwood calibrated for eath the neck and the bridge, OR something like a godwood bridge, and a totally different pickup, say a darkburst neck for example.

im wondering what you guys have done with your pup swaps, because i always naturally gravitated towards different, because in my head, that makes for a more versatile guitar. but i may be overthinking it.

6. Tele Custom Lover

Tele Custom Lover Member

Obviously expectations are important... but I went with Peter Florence SC Tele bridge with a neck humbucker and had them calibrated. I really have no idea what could be done to make them more perfect. They're absolutely beautiful in every way...

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Sure, I am currently playing a Truxton that has a Klein FB in the neck with a Lollar P90 in the bridge. I say mix it up and see what shakes out.

8. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Sometimes they are matched for a reason from consumers and manufacturers experience with them. I looked at a large number of pickups for my Schecter C-1 but after reading tons of posts and listening to YouTube videos I came to the conclusion that the Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 and Jazz SH-2 pickups pair together very well on all positions. The Jazz pickup is probably a bad name for it as it can get pretty dirty and sustains very similar to the APH-1 otherwise known as the "Slash" pickup. I also like that it is a little brighter which helps on the neck position

9. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

10. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I bought matching sets for my single cuts but for my new Tele, new to me anyway, I ordered different Lollars, an A3 for the neck and a Special T for the bridge.

11. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

Tell me more about this , please :munch