Matching speakers to the amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EDS, Apr 14, 2015.

1. EDS

EDS Supporting Member

Not talking about impedance...

I have an old Kalamazoo 5 watt practice amp - similar to a Champ. It had an old CTS speaker in it - I had a Ragin Cajun lying around so I put that in there. I was expecting to hear a huge difference but there wasn't. I'm sure it must be slightly louder (though I didn't notice a huge change) but the tone was pretty similar.

I was thinking maybe that the Eminence speaker might be better suited to amp that can really drive it a bit,- is this true? Or am I totally off-base here?

What 10" speakers would be good for that amp?

2. handtrix

handtrix Member

My first choice went to the Jensen C10Q for that amp. Or a Fender Blue (shoehorn)
    What ever your choice; as long as it's a low wattage speaker that's better suited to drive the amp a bit.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

More than likely reason you didn't hear much vol gain is because you stuck a 8ohm Cajun in a amp that was expecting a 4ohm speaker as the load. Make sure you get the proper ohm rating the amp is designed for. Most those old practice type amps had 4ohm speakers.

Get you a Jupiter, WGS or Weber with the proper rating for the amp. Could be the old CTS is still purring like a kitten, but probably is just getting brittle with age.