Matchless 2x12 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Harrison0811, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Harrison0811

Harrison0811 Member

So I just ordered a 2X12 ESD cab - without playing it.. yeah I know.. but I played a 4x12 a while back and I loved the speakers, so I figured this would be great too.

But If anyone could tell me anything about them.. goods the bads.. If you love it or hate it.. ect.. I would appreciate it a lot.

2. thesooze

thesooze Member

My buddy's got one and it absolutely rocks. Real punchy with tight bottom end and strong mids/highs.

Doesn't hurt that he pushes a Matchless Clubman 35 through it, either...

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

So can someone verify if Matchless uses different combinations of speakers in their 2x12 cabs without a special request order?

It's my understanding that they use modified Celestions - namely a G12H and a Greenback - but when I called around to a few different dealers asking about these cabs, one dealer had one with 2 G12H's (both magnets were identical), and another had one with a G12H and a Vintage 30??

Both told me that neither of them had requested a special order speaker-wise when they ordered these cabs from Matchless. They placed an order, and that's what Matchless sent??

So when people refer to "the magic speaker combo" of these Matchless 2x12 cabs, what exactly are we talking about... and has Matchless historically shipped their 2x12 cabs with different speaker combinations other than the modified G12H/Greenback combo?

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the magic combo is a greenback and Anniversary as you said. I'll be trying a couple things with my Guytron cabinet which is powered by a Clubman. Here's my choices:

1. 2 weber 1265's, have right now, a little too middy with certain guitars.
    2. 1 weber 1265 and 1 Celestion Anniversary
    3. 1 weber 1265 and 1 Scumback H75 8P LHDC

I'll let you know what one I like the best.

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

I am pretty sure you nailed it Fireball......GREAT CABS btw - especially with a Clubman head on top as someone already pointed out......one of those amp/cab relationships that truly WERE made with each other in mind....
    Bradz.

6. radcliff

radcliff Member

Man right now I'm running a Dr. Z Mazerati into a Matchless cab.... I think I need to add the Clubman to the fold.:D

7. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

For their 2x12 combos,
    they'd use one G12H30 and one Vintage 30. Both aged by acetone on the outer edge (I think). 8 Ohm speakers wired up for a 4 Ohm load.
    I'm not sure what they'd do for a 2x12 cab.

They may have changed the two speakers for their dissimilar speaker strategy from what I listed above. I think one of the speakers used now is the Greenback...25 watts? vs the G12H30

8. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

I love the Matchless 2x12 cabs... most of my heads are paired with the matching 2X12 cab.... yeah the mismatch speakers are standard (all of my matchless gear is from 92-93) yet things could have changed.

The only other one I like is the 4X10 Matchless cab, well come to think of it, my ES1012 is nice - 2X12 on bottom and 2X10 on top... I haven't seen to many of these...

Can't go wrong with Matchless!

9. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Well, I called Matchless and whomever I spoke with (definately wasn't Phil) sounded a bit clueless about which speakers went into their 2x12 cabs as standard. :confused: He stated they were "dissimilar Celestions" - which I already knew - and said they were a G12H30 and a Vintage 30.

I mentioned that I was under the impression that their 2x12 cabs came loaded with a Greenback/G12H30... and he told me - "No, the DC30 combo comes loaded with the Greenback/G12H30, but the 2x12 extension cabs come with a G12H30 & Vintage 30."

So between this guy I spoke with at Matchless, the dealers I've spoken with, and what I've read here - I'm totally confused! :crazy :crazy

10. Harrison0811

Harrison0811 Member

Wow Thanks Guys!! I'm really excited to get!