Matchless Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BoyMambo, Dec 15, 2005.

1. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Hi,

Looking at getting a new amp and am considering a Matchless. I would like peoples general opinions about these amps, looking at something simple like the Spitfire or Lightning.

Regards

David

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

awesome dirty-clean sounding amps. lot's of upper mid presence.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

ive played 2 matchless, the lightning and the hc-30. loved the hc-30. didnt like the lightning so much. i find i like the bad cat stuff a lot better. they are similar but different. you should throw the cub on your list of stuff to check out. i think the cub II i had was every bit as nice as any matchless i played and had that same "type" of sound going on.

really though, any of them you cant go wrong with.

4. bigeric

bigeric Member

I have owned 5 matchless amps. I kept my spitfire. I recently recabbed it to a 2 12 config. Running at 4 ohms with weber blue dog and silver bell ceramic 25 watters. It makes me happy. Simply the best. I long for no other sound. Headroom, volume, tone. balls. The spits are the end for me.
    These will be the classic matchless one day. IMHO.
    The lightning suffers from an interactive tone circut. The spit is bliss.

Good luck in your search

5. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

I went to the local Matchless shop today and played the Lightning, Nighthawk(?) and the Spitfire. I think that the Spitfire 15 1x12 mini combo is the right stuff. But listen to this, I took two PRS, one McCarty BRW and a CU22 semihollow with McCarty pickups and switching. They both sound very different, but the distorted roaring gain setting on the CU22 sounded like it was out of tune? Figure.

6. davebc

davebc Member

I'm still speachless every time I plug into my DC-30, or Lightning 15, killer amps and a must for any arsenal.
    I won't bore you with any more of my thoughts, just do a search.

7. davebc

davebc Member

Another satisfied customer. I can really understand how easy it would be to end up w/ 5 Matchless amps. They have a EXTREMELY addictive quality about them.
    The interactive tone in the Lightning initially threw me a little, until I found the MANY sweet spots, prefer it with humbuckers though.
    My DC-30 is simple put, the most versitile and one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard anywhere from anyone, does it all, with any guitar, straight in no pedals, from American tweed to British.
    F***ing heavy though. It's a good thing my little wife is so strong.
    "Hey honey, bring my DC-30 in here will you please, and get me a soda." (only kidding dear)

8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have an SC30 that used to belong to Phil Jamison.
    That little red beast slays me everytime I plug in.
    Matchless was the first boutique amp I fell in love with.
    And the affair continues.
    My faves include the C30 series, and the Chieftain.
    S.
    j

9. davebc

davebc Member

I've been jonesing for a Chieftain for the longest time.The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger are the mixed reviews regarding it's break-up.

10. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on checking out the Bad Cats. I've owned a 96 Chieftan, a Bad Cat Black Cat, Hot Cat, and most recently a Cub. Of all of them, I prefer the Cub 2x10. It's an amazingly versital little amp. It has great cleans, and with the right pedals can do a nice crunch and smooth gain. Volume seems to be just about right as well. It can get farty (like most Matchless) at high volumes, but if you don't take the preamp volume up past about noon - 1 O'clock it's not a problem, that seems to be the sweet spot anyway for the gain.

11. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Don't forget the Clubman. I think it's a blast to play.

12. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

You beat me to it.
    My favorite of all.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Robert Cray and Jimmie Vaughan play Clubmans.

14. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Is there a good place to pickup a used Matchless? In Oz the prices are high, but the guy who does Matchless is pretty fair.

15. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Old school Ian Moore!!!!! :dude:

16. landru64

landru64 Member

you probably haven't heard a lightning until you've plugged it into a matchless 4-12. i did so with mine at the matchless factory and was floored. wish i could lug that around but i'm too old and my back is too bad.

i think the sc30 is a classic. funny how all this newfangled boutique stuff is never on the minds of the people who rave about my white sc30s from the early 90s. they're sick. good sick.

17. philipnz

philipnz Member

I have two Matchless. A DC-30 and a spitfire. I bought the spitfire to save my back at small gigs and practices but the more i play it the more i want to use it all the time.

18. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Well I have joined the Matchless Club. After much auditioning I have bought a new Matchless Spitfire 15 1 * 12. I am very happy, such a simple amp and so much tone!

Now my question is, I am very happy with the tone, but are there any brand or combination of brands of valves that really work with these amps.

Thanks for your time!

19. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

^Congrats^

Im surprised I havent replied to this thread yet :)
    I actually own the two that get least talked about. See Sig.
    They sound alot alike, but the pentode based preamp of the Clubman gives it a glassier, attackier tone and a bit more bite. Not to mention, the Clubman breaks up a bit more for overdrive.
    The Chieftain has a more rounded tone, a little darker, and way cleaner. But in the end, they're alot alike. I'd like to get my hands on an HC-30 though :/

20. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I had to chime in. I have a lightning that is monsterous. I agree that it sounds better with humbukers (IMHO).

Some have complained about the interactive tone but I love the way it works. Very chimmey and clear but there is always some hair available and cranked up they are awsome crunch machines.

One thing though, they are not low volume amps. The LOUDEST 15 watt amp you will ever hear.