Matchless Avenger, harsh combo??

saywhat

Hi all,

I recently picked up a Matchless Avenger combo in the 210112 configuration.

It sounds very harsh, trebly and thin through the combo. I have to max the bass out and turn the treble, mid and bright controls pretty much all the way down to get an acceptable sound that's still not pleasant. It's awful. Kinda AM radioish.

However, when I run it through my 2x12 Matchless cab it sounds glorious. Wonderful big punchy sweet cleans. It's amazing.

So I'm wondering does anyone have any experience with this type of Avenger combo? Is something a bit off or is this normal? Don't have any experience with this sort of combo.

Playing a 60 CS strat.

He_Ma

Hi all,

I recently picked up a Matchless Avenger combo in the 210112 configuration.

It sounds very harsh, trebly and thin through the combo. I have to max the bass out and turn the treble, mid and bright controls pretty much all the way down to get an acceptable sound that's still not pleasant. It's awful. Kinda AM radioish.

However, when I run it through my 2x12 Matchless cab it sounds glorious. Wonderful big punchy sweet cleans. It's amazing.

So I'm wondering does anyone have any experience with this type of Avenger combo? Is something a bit off or is this normal? Don't have any experience with this sort of combo.

Playing a 60 CS strat.

I think you answered your own question. It seems to be that 2x10 is not your cup of tea. If same amps sounds bad with own 2x10 and 1x12 elements, I think it might be those 2x10 elements that make it too "trebly" or harsh for you.

Please post pics about your combo, because it sounds quite special one.

cal1024

Those are pretty extreme settings with the combo. Wouldn't think just a 10" speaker would require that. Might be worth getting looked at. Either that or pick up a headshell and enjoy it with the 2x12!

saywhat

Gi4ALSD

saywhat

Trying to post pics but not sure if it's working. It's a sweet looking combo.

Yeah it has the jensens. I do expect it to cut more than the 2x12 but not to be so unbalanced. Its a rare amp to come across but was hoping someone with some experience may give me their impressions.

I have been thinking about the headshell option.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom