Matchless Chief...to sell or not to sell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shred for sale, Apr 15, 2015.

1. shred for sale

shred for sale Member

This is kind of a combo thread...I've seen a lot of Matchless love here lately so I figured I would ask some questions for you guys with experience. I came into a Matchless Chief a few weeks ago and really dig it.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Chief AND the Chieftain? I ask this because I don't really have room for a 100 lb 2x12 amp in my rig or a road case for it either. I do however have plenty of options for heads. Would I be just as happy with a Chieftain or HC30 I could bring out with me?

The second part is do any of you guys have experience with head/cab setups AND their combo counterparts? I hear Matchless stuff can be pretty speaker picky, and just in my own short experience this amp sounds best with the speakers that came in it, didn't really dig being run through my Greenback loaded 4x12 (and I've NEVER heard an amp that didn't sound better through it). Do your Chieftains and HC30s etc jive well with other cabinets or just through their Matchless speakers? Did you like your head/cab as much as your combos?

I realize these are pretty specific things to ask, but just trying to be sure - I'm kind of scared to let this guy go since its a rare and special piece, but I don't know that its practical for me to have that much tied up in something that is staying at home. Thanks for your time!

2. ROKY

ROKY Member

I would DEFINITELY keep that amp and just get a head cab for it, for starters .

As far as speakers,, I would be content to use the Matchless speakers, although I'm
    sure the BadCat Celestions would also work great with it.

Think about a seperate head and cab rig to make moving it around, easier .

Always wanted one of those high powered Matchless amps like the Chief/HC-85/Superchief.

Congrats on scoring that one !

3. jrjones

jrjones Member

Matchless matches their speakers to their amps. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding set of speakers for one of their amps.

4. shred for sale

shred for sale Member

Cool, thanks for the response guys! jrjones are you loving your DC30? Always kinda associated those el84 amps with the real Matchless sound, maybe part of my problem is wanting one of those.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Keep it but, you know how I feel about this amp! :)

6. jrjones

jrjones Member

LOVE the dc30! I gigged an ac30 hard for many years, so im ar home with el84s. I played a couple chieftains and clubmans. They were all really good sounding amps, and I might have ended up with one of those if the dc30 I own now hadn't come along at the right time. I wouldn't mind eventually owning another matchless one day, but having two just isn't really an option for me right now.

7. hacinador

hacinador Member

+ The Vintage 30. I love it with these amps. Samson designed these amps around the Vintage 30. ...and he used this speaker in an early era Bad Cat amps and lated in his Star amps. All 112 combos and cabs had the Vintage 30 speaker. I have tried absolutely every current production Celestion, Bad Cat speaker and Matchless G12H speaker and the Vintage 30 is the one for me, it just sounds right :)

8. shred for sale

shred for sale Member

As strange as this is to me, I'm finding it to be true as well! Normally just not a V30 fan at all! I'm pretty sure they remove the doping from all their speakers so they sound rounder and more broken-in though.

9. davebc

davebc Member

This.
    Those Matchless speakers are voiced perfectly to those amps.
    For whatever it's worth, I had 2 old matchless's that I kind of wished
    I'd held onto. They are very special amps.

10. carrier street

carrier street Supporting Member

To answer the title of the thread, I think you know my answer sir. :wave: