Matchless Chieftain or ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Beets Beets, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Beets Beets

Beets Beets Member

I’m in the market for a new amp since the old 30w combo (spark box) just had a melt down last night (O.T. I suspect) but I have been keen on some new tone for a while anyways. So I suppose this I an opportunity to get off my ... and get new amp. I dig the Chieftain quite a bit it might be the EL 34s? At any rate I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a few amps to check out in this vane. Namely: nice flexible EQ, good clean tone, generally a thicker sound and takes pedals well. I’m not looking for a real high gain sound. My band is...well think of the bastard child of phish and pink floyd it's kinda like that. Thanks for the help.

Beets

2. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Matchless Clubman - I love it, better than a Chieftan IMHO.

3. Bradders

Bradders Member

CLUUUUUUUUBMAN as well - simply astonishing, simply astonishing..............simple as that.

4. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Another Clubman fan here! I've had two Chieftains and found ultimate happiness with this new Clubman set up. The cab has two Blues and two Century Vintage speakers and just rocks. I also use a matching 2x12 quite often.

[​IMG]

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey Rick, are you talking about the Gold Centuries? How do you think they would fare with a Plexi/JTM type amp? Would you prefer to go with Ceramics for jangly , yet hard rock?

M.E.

6. celestion101

Hi,
    The Century Vintage's (as descibed in the 4x12) are neo and use Vintage 30 soft parts. They have a bit more jangle than the ceraminc, but a little less low end to some peoples ears. I think you're describing the new Alnico Gold which is in the 2x12 to the right in this picture (with a Blue). I've done a few gigs with it and have had it cranked with every type of amp. It sounds insane! I would say 98% like a Blue with a tad more low end (but 99% of the jangle). I may biased, but there are some big names who are not, and you'll hear from them soon, or at least see their praises in print!:dude

7. Beets Beets

Beets Beets Member

Two Chieftains? It seems there's a lot of love for the Clubman in the responses but what about the Clubman do you favor over the Chieftain since your had two? Also isn’t the Chieftain solid state rectified?
    Thanks for reply.

Beets

8. celestion101

The Chieftain was tube rectified to my knowledge. The Clubman (to my ears) sounds more complex, chimey, takes pedals better, and is louder. The first Chieftain was a 4x10, and the 2nd was a 2x12, then a 4x10, and then a head......and then gone!:D

9. Beets Beets

Beets Beets Member

Just out of curiosity can you swap in 6L6's in the Clubman because power dissipations are about the same and I know the EL 34 draws more cathode current than the 6L6 so the power supply ought to be able to handle it? I have no idea what this would sound like any thoughts?

Beets

10. celestion101

Phil (Matchless) said that you can run it on 6L6's with a few changes internally (besides biasing). I may do that to see if it opens the headroom a bit. There EF86 is in V2, which gets slammed by a 12AX7 in V1. I found a 12AY for V1 which has far less gain and it really cleaned the amp up. A little more and I'm set, so maybe the 6L6's would help? I like chime, but I like my chime cleaner if that makes sense?

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hmm, I wonder if it would help if you tried a 5751 in the PI position. Just so it does not whack that 86 so hard.
    M.E.

12. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for the Clubman. I had a Chieftan 2x12 and it was too mid rangy for my taste. It also flubbed on the low end more than my Clubman. Not as chimey either.

13. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I don't know. I've had both the Clubman, and Chieftain. The Chieftain is my "gold standard" amp. It may not do everything, but I love the sound, and think everyone who likes the Clubman better should change their minds...right now! where's my coffee!

14. Bradders

Bradders Member

unless you're in Slayer or Cradle Of Filth............Maybe it's just me but since getting the Clubman - I've gone "cold" ( almost anyway :messedup ) on messing about with other amps for now......the thing, to me, is simply so organic and alive i just love it. I've not played anything so complex in tones, cleans, chimes and a bit of grit that is perfect in terms of volumes, with a great eq......sure it's not THE cleanest, not THE chimiest, not THE <insert your own> but in terms of an overall package I really think it's hard to beat...........

You get the impression I like it...:AOK

The only other thing I'm keen on is a Black Cat ( I have a Cub and dig that) which I really honestly think is aas close to an ?C-30 as it gets without the logo......

Happy in Matchless heaven....................see ya!

15. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

You guys are killing me!!! Oh I love the Clubman, but just can't afford one right now. Out of all the amps I have played, that is THE one that still haunts me.

16. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I love my Chieftain. In spite of the fact that it runs tubes hotter than it should, and that I just blew an output tranny.

Nonetheless, I think it sounds GREAT, and can't wait to get it back out of the shop.

17. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

i've had an hc-30, phoenix, clubman and now a chieftain. okay, so i'm in the honeymoon phase, but the chieftain is the best of the bunch imho.

18. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I went: Black Cat -> Phoenix -> Chieftain. I just love my Cheif-y 1x12 combo with verb. It's the amp I use with my semi hollows. At the end of the day, I think I'm just not an EF-86 kinda guy.

Stormin!

19. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Star Amps 'Blues Star' by Mark Sampson is supposed to be similar to the Cheiftain with a boost function. I came so close to buying one several times now.. I should have just bought it..