Matchless Chieftain vs. Divided by 13 SJT 10/20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jwilliams, Feb 3, 2012.

1. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Let me start this by saying that I know these are different animals. What I'm curious about is which one will be better suited for what I'm doing. I'm looking for the edge of breakup or slightly overdriven tone with a good shimmery top end. I need it to handle creating ethereal sounds via delays and reverb as well as some pop-rock stuff. Well, I need it to handle pedals well in general.

For reference, this will be supplementing my Divided by 13 RSA 31. I don't want to be left wishing I would have taken that with me instead of one of these.

Thoughts?

2. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Should have added that I primarily play a 335...

3. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

I've owned both amps, at different times though. I currently own the SJT and I love it. For me, when it comes to using delays, reverbs, and other effects, the SJT seems to really gel with them. It does not have an fx loop, but I don't seem to get any mud or nasty echo sounds. It is a fairly dark amp in my opinion, while it can get some nice treble sounds. there is always quite a bit of low end present, which I like but definitely something to think about.
    The Chieftain I owned in my opinion didn't like my fx as much, notably I was using a sub decay echo box mostly at the time. This amp has much more of a shimmery top end and no where near as full of a low end. To my ears it sounded more on the vox/marshall side of the world while the SJT really has that old fender vibe about it. I also find the sit likes single coils and hum buckers equally in my experience, and the Matchless was more hum bucker oriented. I hope that gives a little bit of insight, hopefully some other guys can chime in as well. I believe I have some recordings with the SJT around if you'd want me to email them to you I'd be glad too. I work at a studio so making clips is easy. Might aid in your decision :) Good luck.

4. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

This is awesome! Thanks for the insight.

5. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Anymore insight? Hoping to make a decision.

6. Randy

Randy Member

I've never tried the /13 but own a Chieftain. I'll just add that when the Chieftain is cranked (that is, volume, mids and MV dimed), it is incredibly thick, gainy and has tons of low end. Backed off to 'normal' settings it is as described - much more bright and chimey. I'm only able to crank it through a Faustine attenuator. It takes boosts very well IMO.

7. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Thanks for that. How does it do the on the edge of breakup sound?

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Considering I owned a 96' 1x12 Chieftain for about 4 years I'd have to say I don't agree with much of any of this. Sorry, but this thing lives with SC guitars, as I mostly play a tele. The bass with all Matchless el34 amps is very strong, IMHO almost too strong, you really need to be careful here.

Things I used and liked through it - Proanalog dual drive, Tim, fuzzes, and the best a Kingsley Minstrel.

These amps live on the edge of breakup , in fact that's where the excel. The amp will gain up pretty quick so get used to rolling up and down on the guitar (old school) once you do this Matchless stuff is very addictive and most likely it will haunt you.

9. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

I can't imagine a D13 sounding better than a Matchless

10. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

I believe I may have typed wrong, I should have elaborate on the low end of the Matchless, I suppose I found it to be a looser low end but I still find it thin compared to my amp. But, yeah, for some reason I found the amp didn't like my SC guitars. Interesting how different my experience was. :/ Both are fantastic amps though.

11. uptheweight

uptheweight Member

+1!!!!

12. uptheweight

uptheweight Member

the matchless is an extremely thick sounding amp in my opinion..has tons of bottom end and clean headroom...however, it's capable of alot of gain as well...it does everything i need it to plus some...i know its cliche to say but "it takes pedals well" and i really can't say a bad word about it....oh yes i can...it weighs a ton!!

13. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Update: I bought the Chieftain. Went and tried it out before I purchased it and it sounded amazing. Still have yet to play the SJT, but I have 0 complaints with the Chieftain thus far, save for the ridiculous weight.