Matchless clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nsriley, Jan 6, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

I've been reading up on Matchless amps, and was wondering if there are any clone makers out there? I see Ceriatone makes a chassis kit for the Lightning and Spitfire. :angel

-Peace
    -Nate

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Trinity makes a Lighting clone. 15 watter using 2-EL84's.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
    -Nate

4. Hoss

Hoss Member

5. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks! I'll have a look there too.

-Peace
    -Nate

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'd like to know where I could get kit's to build one myself??

7. nsriley

nsriley Member

Check out Ceriatone.com. He's got the stuff for a full chassis build, but I am not sure on cabinets. His prices are fair too. I had a JTM45 clone he build for me a while back, but I am trying to get away from the larger watt amps these days, so I sold it.

-Peace
    -Nate

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Thanks man!

My cousin has built cabs for some of the fender boutique companies and I think he's even built one for Bob Sweet. And since he'd help me put the thing together, I'd be set on the cab. I used to have a Matchless Hurricane and I miss having an extra gigging amp. The Lightning would be sweet!

9. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Wow! Those soundclips of the Franklin sound incredible. What a little monster of an amp!!! :AOK

10. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Yeah..........it makes me miss my old Lightning.

11. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

email rob at valvetech amps. he made a custom head for me that had a vox ac15 channel (ef86) and a matchless chieftain channel. channels were internally jumpered and you blend the volumes to taste. it's fantastic. craig

12. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

You can't say something like that without posting clips :)

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

What about Bad Cat? When Matchless went out of business Mark Sampson founded Bad Cat (or was with them atleast) with the other "main dude" from Matchless, who used to make sure that the production of the amps worked alright. Mark designed some of the first amps and the other dude whose name I've forgotten is still taking care of things at Bad Cat amps. I love my bad cat amp, highly recommended!

14. nsriley

nsriley Member

Yeah your right, I forget the other guys name too, LOL! I would love to get my hands on either a Matchless or Badcat, but my budget is tight, hence my alternative searches. I gotta sell my Marshall head first before anything, I'd hate to rack up more debt on more GAS!

-Peace
    -Nate

15. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I have an s2amps.com Lightning clone... I really dig it. Steve has an awesome custom tranny set that he had built for his clones to really nail the tone. I believe Trinity also uses the s2 custom tranny set, but I'm not positive about that.

Lightnings are fantastic amps... I'm actually playing it over my Ghia these days, but don't tell any of my Dr. Z buddies! ;)

16. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Mark Sampson is a designer for BadCat, he he basically sells his amp designs to them, and was not part of founding the company. The actual founders are:

JAMES HEIDRICH, built custom guitars and custom amplifiers. James and his wife Debbie founded the Bad Cat Amplifiers Company. James is Bad Cat's Main Cat, buys hard-to-find tube parts, manages production and the Bad Cat guys.

RICK PERROTTA, co-founded a Class A amplifier company many years ago. Rick made sure everything got built quickly and correctly. Rick has in-depth knowledge of amp construction components and processes. He is well known within the tube amp industry as the guy who gets it done.

17. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

There's a guy in the suburbs of NYC who makes amps and sells them on e-bay. I bought one of his Spitfire clones used and it sounds fantastic. I was thinking of selling it but I changed my mind. They are very inexpensive and sound great. You can read about them on HC under Giller Amps, or sarch on ebay for EddieJG.

-Dennis

18. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

Hey Dennis. I have one of those Giller Lightning copies on the way. Ed Giller says his cabinets are butt-joined, glued and screwed open-back boxes. Sounds a bit scary, like a wood shop project. Was yours sturdy enough to play out? I'm just wondering if I need to budget for a cabinet and faceplate to make it gigworthy... thanks!

19. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

Yeah, his head cab is a five-sided wooden box (the back is open). I believe it is gig worthy if you're just a little careful. I've used it as a backup to my Bad Cat Black Cat on gigs, and once I played the first set through it. It sounded great. I've heard it'll sound even better with some NOS tubes- I might try that next.

20. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member