Matchless clubman 35 help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sniffyduke, Aug 12, 2008.

1. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

I just ordered a Matchless clubman reverb. I have been giging with a marshall jcm800 for years. I plan on using a vintage orange 4x12 cab.

My problem is NOS tubes. I have a couple, 12ax7raytheon Jan grey plate, GEC genalex ef86, GE Rectifier, JJ12ax7 for PI and stock jjel34s in output.

All these are NOS I already own. My amp is still on order.

Anyone familiar with this amp and have any recomendations on the tubes?

I'm lost.........

2. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

I'm also a new Clubman 35 user. I love my Clubman. I prefer more of a clean tone from my amps, so from that perspective, I can offer one suggestion.

KT-77's

I stuck a pair of these in my amp shortly after it arrived, and man they sound good. I went with JJ's because the KT77 pickings are slim.

For the EF86, I would suggest the Dario Miniwatt from KCANOSTubes.com here:

http://www.kcanostubes.com/products/139/NOS-Dario-Miniwatt-EF86.htm

A quick call to them, will get you a great tube set, every time.

3. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Thanks I use KCA alot.
    I herd that the GEC ef86 were the best thats why I bought them.
    What do you think?

4. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Clubman guy right here! On my 2nd one - here's what sounds UNREAL:

EF86 - NOS Amperex Bugle Boy or Dario Miniwatt
    Rectifier - NOS Mullard

Those two will make the amp sound rich, 3D, and phenomenal!

5. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

BTW - get a Matchless 2x12 cab w/the mismatched Celestions. They are the missing link to the Matchless sound. Nothing sounds like one!

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Well you have plenty of good tubes, so there's really no problem. Just start with what you got and make changes if need be. Tubes do make a difference, but believe me, your Clubman will sound damn good with just about anything in there. Don't overthink it.

7. guitarded_1

True..and ain't it ironic? Most people would advise against using a greenback and a G12H30, but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound great.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Pretty much everything sounds good. I ran KT77's in mine, lasted 2 months. These were cool running tubes hand picked by Bob, I wont be doing this again. Right now I'm trying SED Winged "C" tubes, they sound great.

Regarding pre-amp tubes anything sounds good, with the EF86 I bought 6 of them off Ebay, got lucky I guess because none of them are bad and they all sound good in their own way.

I am having a bit of trouble with my amp however and it's got me bummed. With the amp on and nothing plugged into it I get a squel that gets louder as turn the amp up. Once you plug something into it however it goes away. I tried multiple tubes in each spot and nothing stops it. I also cleaned the sockets again, anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for?

9. Birdseye

Birdseye Silver Supporting Member

harry, i think that's just a bad input jack. easy fix.

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely critical advice. The matching 2x12 cab is essential for the full 3-D sound - especially if you're already into it deep enough to buy a Clubman and tube it up with NOS.

=K

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

That's what Phil said also. He said this, "take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the tongue and tab together." Right now, it's not shorting to ground. The only thing is I can't figure out what's the tongue and what's the tab, anyone know?

12. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Thank you for all the wonderfull input : )

Like i was saying earlier. My recent purchase was the GEC Genalex ef86.
    Alot of people seem to recomend the miniwatt (Dario). I guess I could of bought the miniwatt, it was much cheaper. The only reason for the GEC purchase was that I heard it was the best, maybe I was wrong : (

13. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I totally agree the Clubman 35 is a great amp. Also agree regarding the Matchless cab with mismatched speakers. Superb sound. Best sounding Matchless amp IMHO.

Tom

14. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

I have the Matchless 2x12 cab, but I swap all my speakers over to Tone Tubby.

I'm using the one ceramic and one alnico H-Bomb setup in this cab. Sounds Great

15. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

What about running it through a vintage Orange cab 4x12 with vintage 30's. I have one of the first with vintage 30's awesome cab.

Will That sound good for rock ar indie type music?

16. guitarded_1

It will sound great. Just get the amp and play. From there, you can tweak whatever you feel is needed, but I would start by assuming that your setup will be just fine as is.

17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Another Clubman owner here - hands down one of my favorite amps! It reacts very well to NOS tubes. I highly recommend NOS tubes in Matchless amps. Here's what I'm currently running:

V1 - NOS Tesla (not JJ)
    V2 - Dario Miniwatt EF86
    V3 - Tung Sol (re-issue)
    Rectifier - new production JJ
    NOS Tesla (again, not JJ) EL34s.

Other good NOS tubes that I've used that sound great in Matchless: Mullard, RCA, Mazda 12AX7s. Amperex, Mullard, and GEC EF86s. Seimens/RFT EL34s also sound AMAZING in Matchless amps.

As far as cabinets go, I use my Clubman, and other Matchless amps, with various cabinets - Matchless 2x10 w/Matchless treated G10L35s, 2 different Marshall 4x12s - one with Greenbacks, the other with G12H30s, Matchless 4x12 with the GB/G12H30 mix (2x2 in the X pattern), and a Bad Cat 1x12 w/Bad Cat treated V30.

The Clubman will sound great through your Orange cab, IMO. But, also try it with other cabs and speakers - Matchless amps react great to different cabs and speakers.

Hope that helps!

18. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

The GEC Genalex ef86 is wonderful in the Clubman and is perhaps the finest ef86 out there. Its just very expensive. For the money the Dario Miniwatt is my first choice. But if I had the GEC laying around, I would put it in the Clubman!

19. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

I heard the Clubman has a sweet spot. Any of you guys care to share your personal settings?

I plan to run mine in combination with a fulltone OCD.

But I would be greatly interested in some of your own personal settings : )

20. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

also this briliance knob is new to me I'm used to Bass, Mid, Treble